Unknown target specified: setup

Hi There,
I am trying to create a custom beat and getting below mentioned error while running "make setup" command. ref: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/devguide/current/setting-up-beat.html
"Unknown target specified: setup"
I have go language installed as well as mage installed on my system. I am not able to debug this... How to proceed further?

Anyone any help in here? what may be wrong or where to track?i see there is no such target as setup mentioned in document

I just tried to reproduce this but couldn't. I created a new beat from scratch and make setup ran successfully for me.

Does your custom beat folder have a Makefile in it? If so, could you post it's contents here?

make is calling a make.bat under the installable folder. Where in this eventually calling a mage %*
if i pass "make setup" -> i am not able to see any target in anyof the go file under the installed folder having "setup" as target... is this calling setup target or the makefile?

Content of makefile:

BEAT_NAME=testbeat
BEAT_PATH=github.com/gsharma/testbeat
BEAT_GOPATH=(firstword (subst :, ,{GOPATH})) SYSTEM_TESTS=false TEST_ENVIRONMENT=false ES_BEATS?=./vendor/github.com/elastic/beats GOPACKAGES=(shell govendor list -no-status +local)
GOBUILD_FLAGS=-i -ldflags "-X (BEAT_PATH)/vendor/github.com/elastic/beats/libbeat/version.buildTime=(NOW) -X (BEAT_PATH)/vendor/github.com/elastic/beats/libbeat/version.commit=(COMMIT_ID)"
MAGE_IMPORT_PATH=${BEAT_PATH}/vendor/github.com/magefile/mage

Path to the libbeat Makefile

-include $(ES_BEATS)/libbeat/scripts/Makefile

Initial beat setup

.PHONY: setup
setup: copy-vendor git-init update git-add

Copy beats into vendor directory

.PHONY: copy-vendor
copy-vendor:
mkdir -p vendor/github.com/elastic
cp -R {BEAT_GOPATH}/src/github.com/elastic/beats vendor/github.com/elastic/ rm -rf vendor/github.com/elastic/beats/.git vendor/github.com/elastic/beats/x-pack mkdir -p vendor/github.com/magefile cp -R {BEAT_GOPATH}/src/github.com/elastic/beats/vendor/github.com/magefile/mage vendor/github.com/magefile

.PHONY: git-init
git-init:
git init

.PHONY: git-add
git-add:
git add -A
git commit -m "Add generated testbeat files"

Collects all dependencies and then calls update

.PHONY: collect
collect:

Any update would be much appreciated. I am not able to run the mage setup file.

me too.

make setup

Unknown target specified: setup

In the make file there is no setup
Looks like make is only working in Unix flavored OS.It does not work on Windows system Elastic team is working on getting this addressed so we got to wait until they come back on this. or please feel free to explore Nmake to create Nmake compatible makefile

I can build and run on windows system now . Just copy the files from linux. and it's a golang project.

May i ask you to please update the zip for the one shipped from unix? as i am only having Windows box.

I don't know how to upload a file here.In fact, it seemed one file under the directory "include" which name is fields.go

content like below

// Licensed to Elasticsearch B.V. under one or more contributor
// license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with
// this work for additional information regarding copyright
// ownership. Elasticsearch B.V. licenses this file to you under
// the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may
// not use this file except in compliance with the License.
// You may obtain a copy of the License at
//
// http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
//
// Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
// software distributed under the License is distributed on an
// "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
// KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the
// specific language governing permissions and limitations
// under the License.

// Code generated by beats/dev-tools/cmd/asset/asset.go - DO NOT EDIT.

package include

import (
"github.com/elastic/beats/libbeat/asset"
)

func init() {
if err := asset.SetFields("countbeat", "fields.yml", asset.BeatFieldsPri, Asset); err != nil {
panic(err)
}
}

// Asset returns asset data
func Asset() string {
return "eJzsvftzHDdyOP67 too long to type"
}

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.