Update_all_type not working

Hi,

I am using ElasticSearch and Kibana 5.0.0-alpha5.

I have a "logevent" type which contains a "level" field. I want to update the field's "fielddata" to true. I tried the following statement

PUT */_mapping/logevent
{
"logevent": {
"properties": {
"level": {
"type": "string",
"fielddata": true
}
}
}
}

However I got the following error

{
"error": {
"root_cause": [
{
"type": "illegal_argument_exception",
"reason": "Mapper for [level] conflicts with existing mapping in other types:\n[mapper [level] has different [norms] values, cannot change from disable to enabled]"
}
],
"type": "illegal_argument_exception",
"reason": "Mapper for [level] conflicts with existing mapping in other types:\n[mapper [level] has different [norms] values, cannot change from disable to enabled]"
},
"status": 400
}

So I tried using update_all_type (see below) as discussed here https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/indices-put-mapping.html but I got the exact same error. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

PUT */_mapping/logevent?update_all_type
{
"properties": {
"level": {
"type": "string",
"fielddata": true
}
}
}

If anyone has any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated

You will need to reindex to change this one.

Hi Mark thanks for the reply.

I'm new to ES so would you mind providing a bit more context?

Why does update_all_type not work?

If I reindex am I still required to run update_all_type?

I would assume this would be a problem for anyone new to ES and Kibana and running Elastic Stack 5.0.0-beta1 so I'm surprised there isn't better help in the getting started documentation for this issue.

What does the existing mapping look like? Did you disable norms or fielddata?

Hi Mark.

As in my original post I'm trying to set fielddata to true. From what is discussed in the following post it seems like it should have solved my issue but it fails

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/indices-put-mapping.html

I'm just new to ElasticSearch so if there is some other piece of information you need please just let me know.

Thanks heaps for your assistance.

The OP doesn't contain what it looks like right now, before any mapping updates, only what you are trying to do :slight_smile: