Update_by_query taking a partial document

(Rob Bygrave) #1

Hi,
I'm looking to use update_by_query with something like:

{
"script": {
    "inline": "ctx._source.customer.name='Rob'; ctx._source.customer.billingAddress.line1='42 foo way'; ctx._source.customer.billingAddress.line2='Niceplace'; ",
    "lang": "painless"
  },

"query":{"bool":{"filter":{"term":{"customer.id":"42"}}}}
}

When the number of "properties/paths" that need to be updated increases this starts to look messy. I realise that an alternative is to create an _ingest pipeline with a list of "set field value" processors but then that seems more chatty and painful (create the pipeline, perform the upate_by_query, delete the pipeline).

What I'd like / expect is to be able to provide the list of processors to the update_by_query rather than using a script or even better provide a partial document.

Are these options available for update_by_query? Or is there any plan/request to add this type of feature?

Thanks, Rob.

(Rob Bygrave) #2

It seems you can do something like:

{
  "query": {
    "bool": {
      "filter": {
        "term": {
          "customer.id": "2"
        }
      }
    }
  },
  "script": {
    "lang": "painless",
    "inline": "ctx._source.customer = params.customer",
    "params": {
      "customer": {
        "id": 2,
        "name": "CustJ4",
        "anotherProperty" : {
          "foo" :123,
          "baz" : true
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

Which overrides the embedded/nested document (although this approach isn't documented so it's not clear if it is an officially supported approach).

It would be nice to be able to do a partial document update in a similar manor (without the complete override). Anyone got anything to say on this?

Thanks, Rob.

(system) #3

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.