Updating Elasticsearch Document Popularity by number of times it gets queried

I was wondering if elasticsearch provides any kind of functionality that lets you keep track & update the documents in indices based on the number of times any document gets queried directly using document_id. Would that be something that would be a part of my query DSL (I am thinking a function to increase popularity count wrapped on my query everytime my API looks for document by document_id, which would mean I would have to provide an extra field in my document/template)? Or would that be something I implement on the application layer/API layer?

If anyone have implemented something similar, insights would be appreciated.

Elasticsearch does not provides this out of the box and should be implemented in application layer.

There is, though, one feature in X-Pack Security that could help implementing this. The plugin has an auditing feature in which you can easily index an event whenever a document GET is issued and the event can go straight to an index. Here is a sample of an auditing event generated by GET /test/test/1:

{
  "_index": ".security_audit_log-2017.09.07",
  "_type": "event",
  "_id": "AV5dxdgAhEw-lasSg8W0",
  "_score": 0,
  "_source": {
    "@timestamp": "2017-09-07T19:16:39.925Z",
    "node_name": null,
    "node_host_name": "127.0.0.1",
    "node_host_address": "127.0.0.1",
    "layer": "rest",
    "event_type": "authentication_success",
    "principal": "elastic",
    "realm": "reserved",
    "request_body": "",
    "origin_type": "rest",
    "origin_address": "127.0.0.1",
    "uri": "/test/test/1"
  }
}

As this is an indexed document, it becomes fairly easy to aggregate on it and find out top documents, for instance.

thanks @thiago

if anyone runs into this with similar problem, I ended up using _update to search for my document instead of _search.

So _update/document_id with painless script to increment the view counter by one every time a user tries to view product detail via API, would return back the document with updated view. i can then perform sort or other query dsl on that property of documents in that index.

what i didnt know before i posted this was i could get back the updated document after i hit _update endpoint!

That is certainly another possibility, which is how the application layer handling it as I mentioned :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.