Upgrade issue with Elastic Stack 5.6.0, workaround option until fix is available

I upgraded to 5.6.0 and hit this issue, but successfully applied the hotfix, 8132-patch.sh. At this point Kibana was happy and working as expected.

I then upgraded ES and Kibana to 5.6.1. Now Kibana is back in a "Red" state with some different errors. ES cluster status is "Green". Is this related to the hotfix patch? Or something completely new?

I also see this show up in Kibana's stdout log over and over.

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2017-09-20T10:57:28Z","tags":["info","elasticsearch"],"pid":17028,"typeName":"url","typeMapping":{"properties":{"accessCount":{"type":"long"},"accessDate":{"type":"date"},"createDate":{"type":"date"},"url":{"type":"text","fields":{"keyword":{"type":"keyword","ignore_above":2048}}}}},"message":"Adding mappings to kibana index for SavedObject type \"url\""}

No timestamps in the stderr log, but here's a snippet from that:

Error while executing search { Error: Request Timeout after 30000ms
    at /usr/share/kibana/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:336:15
    at Timeout.<anonymous> (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:365:7)
    at ontimeout (timers.js:365:14)
    at tryOnTimeout (timers.js:237:5)
    at Timer.listOnTimeout (timers.js:207:5)
  displayName: 'RequestTimeout',
  body: undefined }
Unhandled rejection Error: Request Timeout after 30000ms
    at /usr/share/kibana/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:336:15
    at Timeout.<anonymous> (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:365:7)
    at ontimeout (timers.js:365:14)
    at tryOnTimeout (timers.js:237:5)
    at Timer.listOnTimeout (timers.js:207:5)
Unhandled rejection Error: No Living connections
    at sendReqWithConnection (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:207:15)
    at next (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/connection_pool.js:213:7)
    at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:67:7)
    at process._tickDomainCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:122:9)