Upgrade to 7.8.0 failed

I have just upgraded from 6.8 to 7.8. When I restarted the service, it fails:

ā— elasticsearch.service - Elasticsearch
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2020-07-08 11:47:12 BST; 19min ago
Docs: https://www.elastic.co
Process: 7033 ExecStart=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/systemd-entrypoint -p ${PID_DIR}/elasticsearch.pid --quiet (code=exited, status=78)
Main PID: 7033 (code=exited, status=78)

Jul 08 11:46:42 elastic01 systemd-entrypoint[7033]: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option UseConcMarkSweepGC; support was removed in 14.0
Jul 08 11:46:42 elastic01 systemd-entrypoint[7033]: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction; support was ... in 14.0
Jul 08 11:46:42 elastic01 systemd-entrypoint[7033]: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly; support was r... in 14.0
Jul 08 11:47:11 elastic01 systemd-entrypoint[7033]: ERROR: [1] bootstrap checks failed
Jul 08 11:47:11 elastic01 systemd-entrypoint[7033]: [1]: JVM is using the serial collector but should not be for the best performance; either it's...pecified
Jul 08 11:47:11 elastic01 systemd-entrypoint[7033]: ERROR: Elasticsearch did not exit normally - check the logs at /var/log/elasticsearch/cert.log
Jul 08 11:47:12 elastic01 systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=78/n/a
Jul 08 11:47:12 elastic01 systemd[1]: Failed to start Elasticsearch.
Jul 08 11:47:12 elastic01 systemd[1]: Unit elasticsearch.service entered failed state.
Jul 08 11:47:12 elastic01 systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service failed.

Any assistance would be grateful.

What does this log say?

There is nothing that stands out excepT:

[1] bootstrap checks failed
[1]: JVM is using the serial collector but should not be for the best performance; either it's the default for the VM [OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM] or -XX:+UseS
erialGC was explicitly specified

Fixed this. I hashed out the network 0.0.0.0 which was activating the bootstrap and this did the job.

I think you hide the problem but not fixed it.
I guess you still have a warning, right? You should follow the instructions.

Please read https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/bootstrap-checks.html and https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/_use_serial_collector_check.html specifically.

1 Like

Yes I am hiding the problem per-se by disabling the bootstrap checks. The issue is that the bootstrap thinks I am running serial collector, when I am not. It wasn't a problem in the 6.8 version.

JVM is using the serial collector but should not be for the best performance; either it's the default for the VM [OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM] or -XX:+UseSerialGC was explicitly specified

And no I am not using the -XX:+UseSerialGC

Could you share elasticsearch logs please?

Please format your code, logs or configuration files using </> icon as explained in this guide and not the citation button. It will make your post more readable.

Or use markdown style like:

```
CODE
```

This is the icon to use if you are not using markdown format:

There's a live preview panel for exactly this reasons.

Lots of people read these forums, and many of them will simply skip over a post that is difficult to read, because it's just too large an investment of their time to try and follow a wall of badly formatted text.
If your goal is to get an answer to your questions, it's in your interest to make it as easy to read and understand as possible.

OK, I have fixed this now. The problem was with my jvm.options file. For some reason it assumed I was running serial collector but as nothing was changed, I didnt understand why it was complaining about it.
When I upgraded, I had a jvm.options.rpmnew file which only differed in terms of the xms size.
I used the jvm.options.rpm and renamed it, then it worked fine.

I dont understand JVM so i can't explain why this is the case.

Great you fixed the root cause.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.