Upgrading Kibana 7.17.15 -> 7.17.18 FATAL ERROR

I upgraded my Kibana from 7.17.15 -> 7.17.18. On startup received: FATAL Error: EACCES: permission denied, stat '/nonexistent/.config/puppeteer'.

Downgraded back to 7.17.15 => Problem disappeared.

Hi @jasonperrone,

Welcome back! Do you see any errors or warnings in the logs?

Hello! Just this, that I've seen since 7.17.13: Kibana is currently running with legacy OpenSSL providers enabled! For details and instructions on how to disable see Use Kibana in a production environment | Kibana Guide [7.17] | Elastic

@jasonperrone Hi Jason , how did you go about resolving this issue ?

Cheers

I haven't resolved it. I am currently still stuck on 7.17.15 because I'm not getting any help from Elastic or the community.

Hi @jasonperrone sorry to hear that , i thought as per the solution status you had resolved the issue.

What have support had to say thus far ?

Oh I see, I don't know why it says solved, I merely responded and it got marked as "Solution". I wonder if I can undo that. Are you having the same problem?

Hello @jasonperrone
Can you test this by changing the rights of the /nonexistent/.config/puppeteer file for example.

So, first of all, there is no .config in /nonexistent. The permissions on /nonexistent are 600, owned by elasticsearch:elasticsearch. I change the permissions to 660 and added kibana to the elasticsearch group. Did not help. I changed the permissions /nonexistent to 666, still did not help. Changed the permissions on /nonexistent to 777 and that worked. But I don't know if my IT department is going to cite me for having totally open permissions on that directory. I wish I knew why I even have this directory. I have a second Elastic cluster with Kibana, and there is no such directory on those servers.

I did experience the same error after upgrading to 7.17.18 while also having /nonexistent on filesystem, owned by elasticsearch as well.
What did help me was removing that directory completely. Afterwards, Kibana started with no problems.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.