Using FVH Highlighter and multi pre/post tags to map query string to highlight tag

I am using Elasticsearch Version 7.1.1
Given a search object like this:

{
  "query": {
    "bool": {
      "must": {
        {"query_string": {"query": "bar", "default_field": "text"},
        {"query_string": {"query": "foo", "default_field": "text"},
      }
    }
  },
  "highlight": {
    "type": "fvh",
    "pre_tags": ["<em0>", "<em1>"],
    "post_tags": ["</em0>", "</em1>"],
    "fields": {"text": {}},
  }
}

And a document like this:

{
  "text": "The only foo bar here is me",
}

I get a response with a highlight like this:

"The only <em1>foo</em1> <em0>bar</em0> here is me"

This example shows that the order of pre/post tags depends on the order of conditions in the query object. This is great. Clearly there are some rules here, but I can't find any reference to this logic in the docs. I have uncovered many more rules like this which enabled me to hack together a parser that can read in the query object and the pre/post tags and return a map between them. I am, however, concerned that these rules may change during an update. I can elaborate on these rules if that would be helpful.

Does anyone know if these rules are explicitly written anywhere?

On a related note, it would be great if we could pass an id into the query condition, eg:

{"query_string": {"query": "bar", "default_field": "text", "tag_id": 0}}

Then the tag_id could map to the index of the related pre/post tag that should be used to highlight the matching tokens. I do understand that it's not that simple, as a query string might be composed of several tokens, some of which might be exact phrases or span conditions.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.