Using Python subprocess to run Logstash

(Daniela Ruz) #1

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS and want Logstash to read a static file and stop after that. I read you can monitor the sincedb file to know when Logstash has reached EOF (here).

I wrote a Python script to try to achieve this. Basically what it does is running Logstash using Python subprocess:

logstash = subprocess.call(["sudo /path/to/logstash/bin/file", '-f', /path/to/conf/file], shell=True)

After that I use stat -c '%s' /path/to/data/file to get the total size of the data file in bytes (cast to int to compare using filter, etc) and set the current position to 0. Then I perform this loop:

while (current != filesize):
    try:
        current = int(filter(str.isdigit, subprocess.check_output("tail -1 " + sincedb + " | awk '{printf $4}'", shell=True))) #get the current position from the sincedb file
    except (OSError, ValueError): #in case the file doesn't exist yet
        pass
print("Done. It should stop now") #don't know what's the best way to stop it 

I give some time between Logstash being launched and the beginning of the loop, that allowed to see that Logstash is not starting. The error is: "ERROR: Pipelines YAML file is empty", but when I launch Logstash from a terminal using the same command (sudo /path/to/logstash/bin/file '-f' /path/to/conf/file) it works perfectly fine.

Is there any other way to monitor the sincedb file while running Logstash? I tried using subprocess.call and Python threads but none of them worked.

Thanks.

(Nachiket) #2

Hi Daniela,

So to understand the problem, you need to process a file using logstash and python.
Have you tried running it without the loop of sincedb?
Does the logstash process even start?
What version of python are you using?

Regards,
N

(Daniela Ruz) #3

Logstash is not starting from the script, it says "ERROR: Pipelines YAML file is empty". It's the same with or without the loop of sincedb.

I'm using Python 2.7 (sorry, I made a mistake before). They asked me to use this version, but the machine has 2.7 and 3.5 installed.

(Nachiket) #4

Hi Daniela,

I tried running logstash using the subprocess module and it worked perfectly fine for me.

I used the following command to run it:

logstash=subprocess.Popen(["/home/ubuntu/logstash/bin/logstash", "-f", "/home/ubuntu/logstash/conf/sep.conf"])

What is the error that you are getting? Can you paste the entire error? Also, are you using the deb version of logstash or the zip?

Regards,
N

(Daniela Ruz) #5

Hi,

When I use Popen I don't get the error, but it doesn't seem to load the data either. If I use the same conf file and run Logstash in the terminal, the data is correctly loaded, so I know the problem is not the conf file.

I downloaded just the tar.gz, do you think it may work if I download the deb version? I read that's the version I should use in Ubuntu 16.04.3, but considering the data was being loaded sometimes I didn't think of that as a possible solution.

This is the entire error:

ERROR: Pipelines YAML file is empty. Location: /path/to/logstash/config/pipelines.yml
usage:
  bin/logstash -f CONFIG_PATH [-t] [-r] [] [-w COUNT] [-l LOG]
  bin/logstash --modules MODULE_NAME [-M "MODULE_NAME.var.PLUGIN_TYPE.PLUGIN_NAME.VARIABLE_NAME=VALUE"] [-t] [-w COUNT] [-l LOG]
  bin/logstash -e CONFIG_STR [-t] [--log.level fatal|error|warn|info|debug|trace] [-w COUNT] [-l LOG]
  bin/logstash -i SHELL [--log.level fatal|error|warn|info|debug|trace]
  bin/logstash -V [--log.level fatal|error|warn|info|debug|trace]
  bin/logstash --help

Regards.

Edit: Using the deb version and single quotes for the command solved the issue. Thank you very much!

(system) #7

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.