Visualisation Painless script between two characters

Hi guys,

I have this example string in a field called querystring:

utm_medium=inapp&utm_source=crm&utm_campaign=newsl&utm_term=fishandchips

I am trying to visualise occurrences of all the possible "utm_source". I can't enable Regex on this cluster because it's a managed service outside of ELK directly. Is it possible to use painless, like my example below, to match everything between "utm_source" and the following "&"?

{
"script": "( _value.indexOf('utm_source') > 0 ? _value.substring(0, _value.indexOf('&')) : _value )"
}

I am trying to use this in the advanced JSON element in a visualisation. This is a temporary query on historic data so fixing the parsing isn't really a good solution for me. The position of "utm_source" is not consistent.

Many thanks,

George

Hi
If you use Kibana 7.12 you can do that by extending your index pattern with a field!

I've made this work with the following code:

Then you can use this field like any other fields (knowing it's a runtime field, calculated when the query is executed)
If you have an older Kibana you could do similar stuff with scripted fields
Best,
Matthias

Hi @matw Thanks for your reply and that is a great suggestion.

Unfortunately the only option I have presently is using the Advanced JSON inside of the visualisation.

We are using a managed ELK service through Logz.io and they are not yet running 7.12 and even if they did, i'm not sure if they would expose this capability or not.

Is there any chance your script can be persuaded to work inside of the visualisation?

George

Why is using a scripted field no option?

Best,
Matthias

Old article but it still stands:

any field calculated when the query is submitted has worse performance. So scripted fields are disabled on logz.io? here's a discuss issue where someone succeeded using the JSON input, didn't test:

However all approaches have this performance drawback.
Best,
Matthias

Yea i realise the performance impact is present regardless. I guess their logic is that it's easier to cause 'more slow' when the scripted field is present over a handful of visualisations, but yea, scripted fields are disabled on Logz.io.

I have had some success using manipulating using the visualisation based on this guide but where I run out of talent is programming the logic which reads something like "from utm_source to the next &". Assuming it's even possible.

I appreciate your suggestions though.

well it should be similar to the code I wrote in the runtime field editor

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.