Warnings shown in Rally benchmarking for bulk request

[WARNING] merges_total_time is 4362 ms indicating that the cluster is not in a defined clean state. Recorded index time metrics may be misleading.
[WARNING] indexing_total_time is 423514 ms indicating that the cluster is not in a defined clean state. Recorded index time metrics may be misleading.
[WARNING] refresh_total_time is 48296 ms indicating that the cluster is not in a defined clean state. Recorded index time metrics may be misleading.
[WARNING] flush_total_time is 77659 ms indicating that the cluster is not in a defined clean state. Recorded index time metrics may be misleading.

Can anyone please help me sort out this warning while I try to benchmark Elasticsearch index consisting of 10million records with the cluster specification of 3 nodes (2 data node and 1 master node)

Hi,

this warning indicates that you probably did not restart the cluster before starting the benchmark thus the cluster is not in a well-defined state and your experiments might be prone to ordering bias, i.e. the benchmark results depend on the order in which you've executed them. The easiest fix is to always restart your cluster before you run a benchmark. See also our blog post Seven Tips for Better Elasticsearch Benchmarks.

Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.