nodeSets:
  - name: default
    count: 1
    config:
      node.master: true
      node.data: true
      node.ingest: true
      node.store.allow_mmap: false
      xpack.notification.email.account.exchange_account.email_defaults.from: "***@***"
      xpack.notification.email.account.exchange_account.profile: "outlook"
      xpack.notification.email.account.exchange_account.smtp.auth: "true"
      xpack.notification.email.account.exchange_account.smtp.host: "***@***"
      xpack.notification.email.account.exchange_account.smtp.user: "***@***"
      xpack.notification.email.account.exchange_account.smtp.port: "25"
      xpack.notification.email.account.exchange_account.smtp.starttls.enable: "false"
      xpack.notification.email.default_account: "exchange_account"
  secureSettings:
  - secretName: elasticsearch-email-password

ECK helped me generate a single node es cluster,then I got the configuration is

cluster:
  name: elastic005
  routing:
    allocation:
      awareness:
        attributes: k8s_node_name
discovery:
  seed_providers: file
http:
  publish_host: ${POD_NAME}.${HEADLESS_SERVICE_NAME}.${NAMESPACE}.svc
network:
  host: "0"
  publish_host: ${POD_IP}
node:
  attr:
    k8s_node_name: ${NODE_NAME}
  data: true
  ingest: true
  master: true
  name: ${POD_NAME}
  store:
    allow_mmap: false
path:
  data: /usr/share/elasticsearch/data
  logs: /usr/share/elasticsearch/logs
xpack:
  license:
    upload:
      types:
      - trial
      - enterprise
  notification:
    email:
      account:
        exchange_account:
          email_defaults:
          profile: outlook
          smtp:
            auth: true
            host: ****
            port: 25
            starttls:
              enable: false
            user: ****
      default_account: exchange_account
  security:
    authc:
      realms:
        file:
          file1:
            order: -100
        native:
          native1:
            order: -99
      reserved_realm:
        enabled: "false"
    enabled: "true"
    http:
      ssl:
        certificate: /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/http-certs/tls.crt
        certificate_authorities: /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/http-certs/ca.crt
        enabled: false
        key: /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/http-certs/tls.key
    transport:
      ssl:
        certificate: /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/node-transport-cert/transport.tls.crt
        certificate_authorities:
        - /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/transport-certs/ca.crt
        - /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/transport-remote-certs/ca.crt
        enabled: "true"
        key: /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/node-transport-cert/transport.tls.key
        verification_mode: certificate

I tested a watcher alert and send mail, then i got an error

{"type": "server", "timestamp": "2021-11-20T06:38:44,096Z", "level": "ERROR", "component": "o.e.x.w.a.e.ExecutableEmailAction", "cluster.name": "elastic005", "node.name": "elastic005-es-default-0", "message": "failed to execute action [_inlined_/email_1]", "cluster.uuid": "I8-ddxlZTbeDrU7JErk_dg", "node.id": "X0_RjyybQ86fcOnDzlxRqw" ,
"stacktrace": ["javax.mail.MessagingException: failed to send email with subject [Watch [test] has exceeded the threshold] via account [exchange_account]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.notification.email.EmailService.send(EmailService.java:171) ~[?:?]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.notification.email.EmailService.send(EmailService.java:163) ~[?:?]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.actions.email.ExecutableEmailAction.execute(ExecutableEmailAction.java:82) ~[?:?]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.core.watcher.actions.ActionWrapper.execute(ActionWrapper.java:164) [x-pack-core-7.10.1.jar:?]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.execution.ExecutionService.executeInner(ExecutionService.java:533) [x-pack-watcher-7.10.1.jar:7.10.1]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.execution.ExecutionService.execute(ExecutionService.java:319) [x-pack-watcher-7.10.1.jar:7.10.1]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.transport.actions.execute.TransportExecuteWatchAction$1.doRun(TransportExecuteWatchAction.java:159) [x-pack-watcher-7.10.1.jar:7.10.1]",
"at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37) [elasticsearch-7.10.1.jar:7.10.1]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.execution.ExecutionService$WatchExecutionTask.run(ExecutionService.java:626) [x-pack-watcher-7.10.1.jar:7.10.1]",
"at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingRunnable.run(ThreadContext.java:678) [elasticsearch-7.10.1.jar:7.10.1]",
"at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1130) [?:?]",
"at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:630) [?:?]",
"at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:832) [?:?]",
"Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: 501 5.5.4 Invalid domain name",
"",
"at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueCommand(SMTPTransport.java:2339) ~[?:?]",
"at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.helo(SMTPTransport.java:1663) ~[?:?]",
"at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:728) ~[?:?]",
"at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:342) ~[?:?]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.notification.email.Account.lambda$executeConnect$2(Account.java:164) ~[?:?]",
"at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:554) ~[?:?]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.notification.email.Account.executeConnect(Account.java:163) ~[?:?]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.notification.email.Account.send(Account.java:122) ~[?:?]",
"at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.notification.email.EmailService.send(EmailService.java:169) ~[?:?]",
"... 12 more"] }

What is even more incredible is that I used the same configuration and used “alert and actions” to create an email connetor. Surprisingly, it succeeded.

Any idea?

Thank you very much

Are you sure this configuration is correct?

xpack.notification.email.account.exchange_account.smtp.host: "***@***"

smtp.host should be the host of your exchange server.

It seems that this is misconfigured, it is in the format user@domain, I think this would also explain the error you are getting:

"Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: 501 5.5.4 Invalid domain name"

Thank you for your reply. For safety reasons, I deliberately dealt with it this way. As you said, I use a format like user@domain. This is why email connector in alert and action can be successful。

This is a screenshot of my successful test using email connector。

However, I made an error in the watcher test, this is a screenshot of the error

Does the Kibana email connector works? What did you put in the Host field in the email connector configuration?

The smtp.host settings needs to be a host name.

Thank you very much @leandrojmp. I have found the problem, javax.mail handles the host a bit special, I processed the configuration in /etc/hosts in the container, and it is already working.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.