What's wrong with my permissions?

I installed elasticsearch using the APT instructions here. What follows is the fun I've had since.

ubuntu@machine-es:~$ sudo elasticsearch
[2018-10-31T15:30:44,020][WARN ][o.e.b.ElasticsearchUncaughtExceptionHandler] [] uncaught exception in thread [main]
org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: java.lang.RuntimeException: can not run elasticsearch as root

ubuntu@machine-es:~$ elasticsearch
/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-env: line 78: cd: /etc/elasticsearch: Permission denied

Ah, the instructions mention that it's all set up as root:elasticsearch. Now I add myself to the group (and forget that I have to log back in... and then that I have to restart my entire screen session...). Bus still no go:

ubuntu@machine-es:~$ groups
ubuntu adm dialout cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev netdev lxd elasticsearch

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Cannot open file /var/log/elasticsearch/gc.log due to Permission denied

ubuntu@machine-es:~$ ls -ld /var/log/elasticsearch
drwxr-xr-x 2 elasticsearch elasticsearch 4096 Oct 31 15:30 /var/log/elasticsearch

Ah, okay:

sudo chmod g+w /var/log/elasticsearch/

Still same error.

ubuntu@machine-es:~$ sudo chmod a+w /var/log/elasticsearch/
ubuntu@machine-es:~$ ls -ld /var/log/elasticsearch
drwxrwxrwx 2 elasticsearch elasticsearch 4096 Oct 31 15:30 /var/log/elasticsearch
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Cannot open file /var/log/elasticsearch/gc.log due to Permission denied

I'm obviously thinking about this wrong. Did I miss something obvious in the installation and setup?

A teammate points out that I shouldn't necessarily expect to be able to run it standalone, and just use it as a service. I'm still confused as to what it's complaining about, but maybe I should forget about it.

As suggested, you should use the OSs service management to start Elasticsearch, that's how it's all been configured to run when you installed it via apt. Anything else needs a bunch of fiddling that isn't worth it :slight_smile:

Thanks. journalctl still showed:

Exception: /var/log/elasticsearch/elasticsearch_access.log (Permission denied) java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/log/elasticsearch/elasticsearch_access.log (Permission denied)

So I mucked around with permissions some more. Not sure what changed, but it started working.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.