Where are Keystore and Truststore: How can Spark communicate with ECK by using SSL

Hello,

I followed this link to install ECK and now I want to use Spark with ECK by using SSL. I read the following documentation. However for the following configuration I don't know where to find the keystore and truststore files.

• es.net.ssl.keystore.type
  • es.net.ssl.truststore.location
  • es.net.ssl.truststore.pass

Can someone explain where to find them ?

Thanks

Hi,

You have to create the keystore. Assuming you are using the default, self signed, certificates with ECK you can find more information about how to get CA cert here: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/cloud-on-k8s/current/k8s-accessing-elastic-services.html#k8s-request-elasticsearch-endpoint

You can then create a keystore, mount it as a secret if Spark is deployed in K8S and set the correct values for Elasticsearch for Hadoop.

1 Like

Hi @michael.morello, thanks for your reply !
Can you recommend documentation to create the keystore from CA ? I found ones but it didn't work :frowning: .
Futhermore, do I need to create a truststore as well if i use the self-signed certificate ?

Regards

Sorry, I think you should actually add the CA to a truststore, not a keystore

Also note that it will only work if you access Elasticsearch from the k8s cluster since the certificates, by default, only contains some predefined subjects like:

• cluster-name
  • cluster-name.cluster-namespace
  • cluster-name.cluster-namespace.svc

See here if you want to add your own subjects.

re. the way to create a keystore I think that something like keytool -import -alias ca -file /path/to/ca.crt -keystore cacerts -storepass changethispassword should work

Thanks @michael.morello, I achieved to generate the truststore.jks file and it can be read by my spark job. However, I got an error "Invalid keystore format". I will open a new topic about this error.