Where to get curator_cli?

Hello,
I installed curator from the APT repo as per https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/curator/current/apt-repository.html
After the installation, I have the curator binary in /usr/bin, but there is no curator_cli.
dpkg-query -L shows that there is no curator_cli in the package.
There also doesnt seem to be a separate curator_cli package in the repo.

Where do I get it from?

Thank you!

/usr/bin/curator should be a symlink to /opt/elasticsearch-curator/curator, and the curator_cli should also reside there.

I just installed the latest (5.1.2) into a VM to ensure I wasn't imagining it:

buh@ubuntu1604-pkg-test:~$ curator --version
curator, version 5.1.2
buh@ubuntu1604-pkg-test:~$ ls -l /usr/bin | grep curator
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root         34 Aug  8 21:27 curator -> /opt/elasticsearch-curator/curator
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root         38 Aug  8 21:27 curator_cli -> /opt/elasticsearch-curator/curator_cli
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root         38 Aug  8 21:27 es_repo_mgr -> /opt/elasticsearch-curator/es_repo_mgr

After I had researched all the points below, I noticed that although I followed the 5.1 install instructions, I ended up with curator version 3.4.1. Maybe that's the root cause.
If not , here are the other things I checked:

Mine is completely different. /usr/bin/curator is not a link. It is a python script:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/curator
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 343 Feb 13  2016 /usr/bin/curator

$ cat /usr/bin/curator
#!/usr/bin/python
# EASY-INSTALL-ENTRY-SCRIPT: 'elasticsearch-curator==3.4.1','console_scripts','curator'
__requires__ = 'elasticsearch-curator==3.4.1'
import sys
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point

if __name__ == '__main__':
    sys.exit(
        load_entry_point('elasticsearch-curator==3.4.1', 'console_scripts', 'curator')()
    )

Did you install the apt / deb package or some other package?

The package content has no ..._cli either:

$ dpkg-query -L elasticsearch-curator
/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/es_repo_mgr
/usr/bin/curator
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/elasticsearch-curator
/usr/share/doc/elasticsearch-curator/copyright
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man1
/usr/share/man/man1/es_repo_mgr.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/curator.1.gz
/usr/share/doc/elasticsearch-curator/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/elasticsearch-curator/NEWS.Debian.gz

Can you post the content of whatever /usr/bin/curator_cli links to, and also of /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/elasticsearch_curator-3.4.1.egg-info/entry_points.txt ?

Thank you

The old version was in fact the problem.
Somehow after adding the new repo in the LinuxMint software-sources manager, it had still grabbed the one from the official LinuxMint repo, which was completely outdated. Probably had not updated the package cache.

After uninstalling the old and installing the new one, curator_cli is there...

1 Like

Sorry you had a bad experience. Several repositories out there are hosting very old versions, like the 3.x tree. That started, and ended, right around the time I released RPM/DEB packages for Curator in the packages.elastic.co repository. Glad you got it sorted out!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.