Why newest versions of logstash are not processing any message

Hello I've been using logstash version 6.2.4 for some time and today I came with the idea to upgrade to the 6.6.0

Version 6.2.4 Is working fine with any issue. But today when I wanted to do the same stuff of the v 6.2.4 with the v 6.6.0, I showed with the surprise that v 6.6.0 is not doing anything. For example I want to send this csv file with this conf to terminal output:

input{
	file{
			path => "C:\Users\JOSEGA\Documents\Elastic\1DISTCYBERFINANCIAL.csv" 
			start_position => "beginning"
			sincedb_path => "nul"
	}

}

filter {
	csv{
			separator => ","
			columns => ["server_name","application","sub_application_name","job_member_name","order_date","start_time","end_time","run_time",
						"average_runtime","host","agent_elapsed_time","completion_status"]
	}

mutate{	convert =>  ["run_time", "integer"]}
	mutate{	convert =>  ["average_runtime", "integer"]}
	mutate{	convert =>  ["agent_elapsed_time", "integer"]}

date{

match => ["start_time", "MMMM d yyyy H mm ss"]

}

}

output {
stdout { codec => rubydebug}
}

And version 6.6.0 is not processing any, but when I execute it with v 6.2.4 It works fine. I tried the same thing with v 6.5.4 and the same it doens't work.

It seems logstash starts, but it get stuck with this message in both versions with v 6.6.0 and v 6.5.4,

[2019-01-30T13:25:25,236][WARN ][logstash.config.source.multilocal] Ignoring the 'pipelines.yml' file because modules or command line options are specified
[2019-01-30T13:25:25,455][INFO ][logstash.runner          ] Starting Logstash {"logstash.version"=>"6.5.4"}
[2019-01-30T13:25:31,142][INFO ][logstash.pipeline        ] Starting pipeline {:pipeline_id=>"main", "pipeline.workers"=>8, "pipeline.batch.size"=>125, "pipeline.batch.delay"=>50}
[2019-01-30T13:25:32,131][INFO ][logstash.pipeline        ] Pipeline started successfully {:pipeline_id=>"main", :thread=>"#<Thread:0x1b709b run>"}
[2019-01-30T13:25:32,179][INFO ][filewatch.observingtail  ] START, creating Discoverer, Watch with file and sincedb collections
[2019-01-30T13:25:32,192][INFO ][logstash.agent           ] Pipelines running {:count=>1, :running_pipelines=>[:main], :non_running_pipelines=>[]}
[2019-01-30T13:25:32,823][INFO ][logstash.agent           ] Successfully started Logstash API endpoint {:port=>9600}

What could be happening?

I would start by changing the backslashes in the path to forward slash. If that does not help then enable "--log.level debug" and see what filewatch has to say.

1 Like

Hello Badger, you as always rock!!

Thanks so much! it works with the forward slash. But now I'm confuse I have two questions:

1. It's no suppose that in Windows OS, you need to specify the path with backward slashes? In the cmd terminal I specified the path of the .conf files with backward slashes and it read the file fine.

2. Why in the version 6.2.4 works with the backward slashes?

Yes, cmd.exe expects backslash, but in most other places forward slash works.

My guess is this changed in 6.4.0.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.