Will spring-boot-starter-actuator provide more information for Elatsic APM Agent?

• I am a newbie to Elastic APM, so I have some doubts about javaagent, I hope some friends could answer it.
  • In a traditional SpringBoot project, there is usually a dependency such as org.springframework.boot:spring-boot-starter-actuator to expose web and jmx endpoints, and at the same time, indicators can be sent to Elastic through programmatic methods.
  • I want to know , if I delete the org.springframework.boot:spring-boot-starter-actuator component from the project, will Elastic Agent get the same order of magnitude data or less? And
    will the project's JVM metrics information be hidden as this dependency org.springframework.boot:spring-boot-starter-actuator is removed?

Hi and thanks for your question. You won't lose any information that you see in the curated APM UI in Kibana, such as JVM metrics. However, if I remember correctly, actuator also adds some micrometer metrics. The Java agent will auto-detect micrometer and ship all metrics to Elasticsearch so that you can build custom dashboards with them. See Metrics | APM Java Agent Reference [1.x] | Elastic for more details.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.