This is what i found in the X-Pack documentation about the functionality that won't be available after the expiration date. But it's not clear if the role-based access control will be available or not.
License [will expire] on [Friday, December 30, 2016]. If you have a new license, please update it.
Otherwise, please reach out to your support contact.
Commercial plugins operate with reduced functionality on license expiration:
- Cluster health, cluster stats and indices stats operations are blocked
- All data operations (read and write) continue to work
- PUT / GET watch APIs are disabled, DELETE watch API continues to work
- Watches execute and write to the history
- The actions of the watches don't execute
- The agent will stop collecting cluster and indices metrics
- The agent will stop automatically cleaning indices older than [xpack.monitoring.history.duration]
- Graph explore APIs are disabled