Windows filebeat cluster privileges

Hi,

I installed Filebeat (7.16.2) on Windows Server, using default PowerShell script and started it as a service.

It reads some custom log files and send them to Elasticsearch. It uses a custom index, ILM policy and template so I had some initial problems dealing with Filebeat configuration but now it works fine. It also uses a newly created user having his password stored on a keystore to avoid plain text passwords on configuration file.

As far as I could test it only runs (start and update index when there are new records on log files) if user's role have the following set of privileges:

• Cluster: read_ilm, monitor, manage_index_templates
  • Index: create_index, view_index_metadata, write

All this was a test to find both Filebeat and Elastcisearch configurations. QA and Production deployments of this solution will be done by someone else. I don't even have access to the Windows server where Filebeat will run. So, my main questions are:

Is it possible to run with less privileges? Am I doing anything wrong that should be done some other way?
For instance, "manage_index_templates" will allow this user to manage all other index templates on this Cluster, right? That could be a security problem.

Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR

Have you seen this documentation page about giving access to resources on ES and why specific roles are needed? Grant users access to secured resources | Filebeat Reference [7.16] | Elastic

Let me know if you have further questions.

1 Like

Hi Noémi

Thank you for your reply.

Somehow I missed that documentation but thanks to the great explicit error logging output from Filebeat, I was able to tune the above privileges.

Refering to documentation, suggested "writer role" needed for publishing, includes cluster monitor, read_ilm and read_pipeline privileges but not manage_index_templates. Without manage_index_templates set for this user's role I get the error:

ERROR [publisher_pipeline_output] pipeline/output.go:154 Failed to connect to backoff(Elasticsearch(https://elasticq.bdso.local:9200)): Connection marked as failed because the onConnect callback failed: error loading template: failure while checking if template exists: 403 Forbidden

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.