Windows module - The specified object was not found

I am testing the new Windows module in metricbeat-6.0.0-alpha1 on Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines. I am very excited about this functionality!

The issue/concern I have is if the perfmon counter does not exist on the machine, metricbeat fails to start with the following error.

Exiting: 1 error: initialization failed: failed to add counter (path="\ICA Session(_Server Total)\Latency - Last Recorded"): The specified object was not found on the computer.

For my use case, I would like to run the metricbeat agent on physical and virtual machines. The virtual machines have this counter but the physical machines do not. Ideally, I would like to use the same yml file across all machines to keep the deployment simple. I understand the logic behind failing if the counters don't exist but I would propose that be a warning instead of a fatal error.

Maybe we could add a config option that says to ignore the failure if the counter is missing? I wondering if that should be a per counter option or a per metricset option. WDYT?

cc: @maddin2016

@andrewkroh, that would be a nice feature. I would prefer the per counter option because if you have many counters and you have a spelling mistake in one or two you never get a notice.

For my purposes, enabling it at the higher level would be fine. I would test my yml file w/o the option to identify typos and then enable it on the whole metricset for deployment. That way I would at least get some metrics from machines that were missing a counter for some reason. I can understand why some might want it at the counter level though so, if it is not too much to ask, how about the option to do either?

I added it to our list of things that we would like to have in the module for the GA release. Thanks for the feedback.

how about the option to do either?

:thumbsup:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.