Winlogbeat to same index as logstash

Hi there,

I'm trying to get all my logs into 1 index - I have DNS logs currently going into logstash (lumberjack), now when I want to sen windows eventlogs, I'd like them to be index in the logstash-* index. I this possible, as far as I see using winlogbeat you need to create a new index called winlogbeat-*.

The use case is being able to interrogate all data (network/machine) created by sysmon, eventlogs, dns logs, proxy logs). Having a separate index for the wineventlogs makes the correlation impossible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Luk

This is perhaps not in your best interest. Starting in version 6, Elasticsearch will only allow one document type per index. Separate indices are a better way to go for future compatibility.

Hi AAron,

thanks for the heads up - but what's the points of log centralization if you then can'ts search centralized? or will there be mutliple-index search support?

And what exactly do you mean by "one document type"?

Thanks,
Luk

Elasticsearch, and Kibana, can search across multiple indices out of the box.

Have a look at Index vs. Type | Elastic Blog

when I perform a search I need to select the index I perform the search on, so I don't see how I can query multiple indexes simultaneously.

I.e. I have 2 indexes one for syslog and one for event logs - I search for IP 10.0.0.1 and I want results from both indexes - how do I do that then?

How are you searching?

Hi Mark,
I go to Discover, select the index and then search in the field above it. Maybe I'm missing something really obvious?
L.

You need to have a common prefix in front of the index, eg commonword- so each index becomes commonword-winlogbeat- etc, and then you can setup an index pattern called commonword-* that will read them all.

That is a bit hard to backfill so it might be easier to setup an alias across things - https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/5.5/indices-aliases.html#alias-adding

Ahhh thank you! I'll try that!
Many thanks for your help
L.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.