Winlogbeats service sugestion

HI everyone, this is my first post so be kind if im wrong (also excuse my non native english). Where do i make sugestion for Winlogbeat (or any other ELK part)??

So i was instaling my first ELK lab, version 5.6.2 was the latest when i downloaded it, so im going with that ver.
Instaled, Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana. So far so good, then i was about to install Winlogbeat on the same PC as part of the test, And being the curious cat i am ... i tried to run the install PS1 script from PowerShell ISE, to see line by line what it does... a then noticed 3 things:

1. The damm line "$workdir = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path" only works when running as a script (not in ISE, nor PS Console), becasue it uses a Automatic_Variable. Maybe note that in the comments
  2. The new service created by the script, doesnt have a description... maybe add a Description, for example "Forwards Windows Events to logstash..."
  3. The New Service uses "hardcoded" paths, maybe in a new version you could ask if the user wants to use the default paths or redirecte the data.path (in my case i use D: for ProgramFiles and E: for ProgramData, elaving C: mostly for the OS)

So there is a place to contribute sugestions and improvements? Or maybe just lave it here and back away slowly xD....

Thanks
Alvaro

Hi Alvaro, yes, contributions are welcomed via Github pull requests. See https://github.com/elastic/beats/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md.

The file in question is located at https://github.com/elastic/beats/blob/master/dev-tools/packer/platforms/windows/install-service.ps1.j2. It is a template. The same template is use for all Beats.

I don't think any of us are PowerShell experts so if you want to fix that automatic variable issue so that the script also works in ISA that would be great.

Adding a description should be simple because we already add this info to RPMs and there should be an existing variable for it {{.beat_description}}. Upper casing the display name would be nice too.

1 Like

Hi andrew, thanks for the reply... im never used github before, ill give it a try after i get my ELK implementation working on my Lab PC, I need something neat to show and sell the idea to my bosses...the security team uses Qradar but i hate that thing with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns XD

regards

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.