Writing aggregate with filtering

I'm trying to write an ElasticSearch aggregate query that includes filtering where I am wanting to grab all of the tags off a all of the documents where a user id matches the one I specify.

I have this code:

{
  "size": 0,
  "aggs": {
    "tags": {
      "filter": { "term": { "account_id": 123  } },
      "terms": {
        "field": "tag_list",
        "size": 10
      }
    }
  }
}

But I get the following error:

{
        "type": "parsing_exception",
        "reason": "Found two aggregation type definitions in [tags]: [filter] and [terms]",
        "line": 6,
        "col": 16
      }

The document mapping contains a tag_list attribute that is an array of tags.

Your request is malformed. You need to nest the terms aggregation inside the filter aggregation like this:

{
  "size": 0,
    "my_filter": {
      "filter": {
        "term": {
          "account_id": 43049
        }
      },
        "tags": {
          "terms": {
            "field": "tag_list",
            "size": 10
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

Thank you!! I think this is working, but for some reason its not returning all of the collected tags across all documents, even when I remove the size: 10

10 is the default value of size, so removing it does not make a difference. Try setting it to 100 or even 1000.

If you have a very large number of tags, you could also consider wrapping your terms aggregation in a composite aggregation. The composite agg allows you to paginate through all the buckets.

1 Like

Thanks @abdon!! I actually figured out my question shortly after asking. I'll look into the composite aggregation. For now, I'll set the size to 1000

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.