XML timestamp extraction?

I have the following in an XML event, and want to put it into it's own field, but none of the XMLPATH I've tried have worked. Help??

<Event>
      <System>
            <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-07-30T13:05:26.543836000Z" />
      </System>
            <EventData>
            </EventData>
   </Event>

@Badger since you're so helpful :slight_smile:

Try

xpath => { "/Event/System/TimeCreated/@SystemTime" => "foo" }
1 Like

Looks like that didn't work :frowning:

[ERROR] 2019-08-01 07:45:30.487 [Converge PipelineAction::Create<main>] xml - Invalid setting for xml filter plugin:

filter {
    xml {
      # This setting must be a hash
      # This field must contain an even number of items, got 11
      xpath => ["/Event/System/EventID/text()", "System.EventID", "/Event/System/EventName/text()", "System.EventName", "/Event/System/Result/text()", "System.Result", "/Event/System/Channel/text()", "System.Channel", "/Event/System/Computer/text()", "System.Computer", ["/Event/System/TimeCreated/@SystemTime", "System.EventTime"]]
    }
  }
[ERROR] 2019-08-01 07:45:30.495 [Converge PipelineAction::Create<main>] agent - Failed to execute action {:action=>LogStash::PipelineAction::Create/pipeline_id:main, :exception=>"LogStash::ConfigurationError", :message=>"Something is wrong with your configuration.", :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/mixin.rb:87:in `config_init'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:126:in `initialize'", "org/logstash/plugins/PluginFactoryExt.java:81:in `filter_delegator'", "org/logstash/plugins/PluginFactoryExt.java:251:in `plugin'", "org/logstash/execution/JavaBasePipelineExt.java:50:in `initialize'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:24:in `initialize'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline_action/create.rb:36:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:325:in `block in converge_state'"]} 

I used xpath => [ "/Event/System/TimeCreated/@SystemTime", "System.EventTime" ] and it worked, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, again :slight_smile:

If you use an array logstash will convert it to a hash using pairs of array entries. That is why it says it has to have an even number of entries.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.