6.2.1 to 6.4 upgrade results in X-pack 'NoSuchFileException' issue

Hi All,

I tried running an offline RPM upgrade of the new Elasticsearch 6.4 on top of my existing 6.2.1 environment. The original environment has X-pack installed on it, configured to provide just a basic licence (so no Watcher, Machine learning etc.).

Unfortunately, after the upgrade when I try to restart Elasticsearch I see this error:

[2018-08-24T14:41:28,557][WARN ][o.e.b.ElasticsearchUncaughtExceptionHandler] [OVF_SharedServices_ElasticNode_gbdocldibgdap02] uncaught exception in thread [main]
org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not load plugin descriptor for plugin directory [x-pack]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:140) ~[elasticsearch-6.4.0.jar:6.4.0]

with, a few lines further down:

Caused by: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins/x-pack/plugin-descriptor.properties
at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:86) ~[?:?]

I also see a similar error when trying to list the plugins:

[root@gbdocldibgdap02 bin]# ./elasticsearch-plugin list
x-pack
Exception in thread "main" java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins/x-pack/plugin-descriptor.properties

I know that from 6.3 onwards ELK came with more x-pack goodness included, so there was no additional install anymore. Does this mean I should have removed the x-pack plugin from my 6.2.1 environment before doing the RPM upgrade?

All help appreciated!

Regards,
Steve

I'm having the exact same issue, would love to hear from anybody who has found a fix for this problem.

So I figured out a way to get elasticsearch up and running again after this issue.

Inside of the directory:

/usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins

backup/remove all plugins including x-pack

After all plugins are removed, reinstall the latest versions of your plugins in my case it was only two

bin/elasticsearch-plugin install ingest-geoip
bin/elasticsearch-plugin install ingest-user-agent
systemctl restart elasticsearch.service

And now my system is back to normal

2 Likes

Hi Funtimes,

Thanks for the information. I'll be trying this when i get back into the office!

Cheers,

Steve

funtimes

August 25
So I figured out a way to get elasticsearch up and running again after this issue.

Inside of the directory:

/usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins

backup/remove all plugins including x-pack

After all plugins are removed, reinstall the latest versions of your plugins in my case it was only two

bin/elasticsearch-plugin install ingest-geoip

bin/elasticsearch-plugin install ingest-user-agent

systemctl restart elasticsearch.service

And now my system is back to normal

1 Like

Thanks. Worked like a charm for me.

Glad it worked!

THANK YOU!!! work for me too. I guess with the new way x-pack is installed by default it messed everything up. I could not get ES to start until I found this thread.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.