Plugin [x-pack-security] is incompatible with version [6.2.4]; was designed for version [6.2.3]

Hi,
I have upgrade ELK to 6.2.3 couple of weeks back. As part of Linux OS patching (I think), the Elasticsearch is upgraded to 6.2.4 and Elasticsearch is not coming up. ELK log file (lpl-elk.log) has below error:

[root@d01nsvl-aelkt01 elasticsearch]# vi lpl-elk.log
[2018-04-23T12:18:27,241][ERROR][o.e.b.Bootstrap ] Exception
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: plugin [x-pack-security] is incompatible with version [6.2.4]; was designed for version [6.2.3]
at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginInfo.readFromProperties(PluginInfo.java:237) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginInfo.readFromProperties(PluginInfo.java:184) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Spawner.spawnNativePluginControllers(Spawner.java:75) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setup(Bootstrap.java:167) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:323) [elasticsearch-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:121) [elasticsearch-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.execute(Elasticsearch.java:112) [elasticsearch-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86) [elasticsearch-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124) [elasticsearch-cli-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90) [elasticsearch-cli-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:92) [elasticsearch-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:85) [elasticsearch-6.2.4.jar:6.2.4]

I have reindex all the indices as part of 6.2.3 upgrade.

Questions:

1. How do we avoid the automatic upgrade of ELK as part of OS patching?
  2. Is there was way to fix this issue without removal and installing x-pack? If not,
  3. What all I have to do so that I don’t loose our data before removal and installation of x-pack?

Thanks,
Mohan

You need to uninstall and install the x-pack plugin. Removing and uninstalling a plugin does not lead to loosing your data - why do you think so?

Most package managers support the pinning of packages, so that those packages need to be upgraded manually.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.