X-Pack 5.0.1 installation failure

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I seem unable to install X-Pack 5.0.1. Just a few days ago I had installed the ELK stack on a Debian 8 system using packages. I performed an sudo apt-get upgrade and got the 5.0.1 elasticsearch and kibana, but not x-pack. So I tried installing the .zip manually. If I try:

sudo /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-plugin install file:///home/jtk/dl/x-pack-5.0.1.zip -v

I get the following output:

Retrieving zip from file:///home/jtk/dl/x-pack-5.0.1.zip [=================================================] 100% - Plugin information: Name: x-pack Description: Elasticsearch Expanded Pack Plugin Version: 5.0.1 * Classname: org.elasticsearch.xpack.XPackPlugin Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Plugin [x-pack] is incompatible with Elasticsearch [5.0.1]. Was designed for version [5.0.0] at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginInfo.readFromProperties(PluginInfo.java:108) at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsService.getPluginBundles(PluginsService.java:370) at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.jarHellCheck(InstallPluginCommand.java:448) at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.verify(InstallPluginCommand.java:429) at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.install(InstallPluginCommand.java:471) at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.execute(InstallPluginCommand.java:209) at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.execute(InstallPluginCommand.java:192) at org.elasticsearch.cli.SettingCommand.execute(SettingCommand.java:54) at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:96) at org.elasticsearch.cli.MultiCommand.execute(MultiCommand.java:69) at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:96) at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:62) at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginCli.main(PluginCli.java:42)

Perhaps the new .zip file is missing something or I am? Thanks for any pointers.

In a fresh install of ES via tar.gz, I confirmed that x-pack successfully installs with both the online install (bin/elasticsearch-plugin install x-pack) and with the offline install (downloaded from the link https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/current/installing-xpack.html#xpack-installing-offline, and running the install according to the instructions there.

It looks like you upgraded in-place (which is what our package installers do today). This means that the old 5.0.0 plugin is still present as if it were installed. The plugin installer tries to start up, read existing state and plugins, and fails before even trying to install X-Pack 5.0.1

To fix this, you can simply uninstall x-pack, then re-run the same install command you have been trying.

bin/elasticsearch-plugin remove x-pack

then

sudo /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-plugin install file:///home/jtk/dl/x-pack-5.0.1.zip -v

This is also buried in the docs here:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/current/installing-xpack.html#xpack-upgrading

Thanks kindly and for the speedy reply. I just discovered this via IRC (hat tip to tim-v there for helping pinpoint it there). Removing the old version was what I needed to do first.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.