Adding a node from a single node cluster to a different cluster

I'm using a multi node cluster with 2 master eligible nodes. I want to add a master eligible voting only node to the cluster. This node was was previously part of a single node cluster. I had setup SSH with different passwords for the two clusters. Also setup kibana on the two clusters. So, when I add the master eligible voting only node to the two node cluster, what all precautions should I take. And someone please clearly mention the process of adding the new node without affecting the data in it.

I do not believe you can add a node holding data into an existing cluster so I would recommend that you use the snapshot API to take a snapshot of your data that you later can restore to the joined up cluster.

I do not need the data in the node to be added. I'm more worried about the data in the two node cluster.

Adding an empty node to a cluster will not affect the data already residing in the cluster the mnode is added to.

The issue is that I have setup an SSH on the new node to be added. And the password is different from the two node cluster. If I just change the cluster name and add the node IP to the "discovery.seed_hosts", will it automatically be a part of the cluster or will the SSH with a different password block the communication?

You shut down the node you want to add. Then you delete the data path and update the config before restarting it again. This will make it an empoty node without conflicting settings and it will join the cluster and get settings and data from it.

I have done the above steps and made changes in all 3 elasticsearch.yml files.
Started the node and the node is up and running.

But it is not being added to the cluster. Below is the response to the cluster health check after the new node is running

Why is this happening?

What is in the logs for the node that is not joining?

Logs on the node not joining

[2021-08-31T22:31:17,756][WARN ][o.e.t.TcpTransport       ] [node-3] exception caught on transport layer [Netty4TcpChannel{localAddress=/{IP1}:49654, remoteAddress=/{IP2}:9300, profile=default}], closing connection
io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:471) ~[netty-codec-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:276) ~[netty-codec-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:379) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:365) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:357) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1410) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:379) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:365) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:919) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:163) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:714) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysPlain(NioEventLoop.java:615) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:578) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:493) [netty-transport-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$4.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:989) [netty-common-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.util.internal.ThreadExecutorMap$2.run(ThreadExecutorMap.java:74) [netty-common-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:831) [?:?]
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
        at sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Alert.java:131) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:369) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:312) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:307) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1357) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.onConsumeCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:1232) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:1175) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(SSLHandshake.java:396) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:480) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask$DelegatedAction.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1267) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask$DelegatedAction.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1254) ~[?:?]
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:691) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1199) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.runAllDelegatedTasks(SslHandler.java:1542) ~[netty-handler-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.runDelegatedTasks(SslHandler.java:1556) ~[netty-handler-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.unwrap(SslHandler.java:1440) ~[netty-handler-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decodeJdkCompatible(SslHandler.java:1267) ~[netty-handler-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decode(SslHandler.java:1314) ~[netty-handler-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.decodeRemovalReentryProtection(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:501) ~[netty-codec-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:440) ~[netty-codec-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        ... 16 more
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doValidate(PKIXValidator.java:369) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:275) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:264) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:285) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:144) ~[?:?]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.ssl.DiagnosticTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(DiagnosticTrustManager.java:99) ~[elasticsearch-ssl-config-7.13.1.jar:7.13.1]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1335) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.onConsumeCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:1232) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:1175) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask$DelegatedAction.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1267) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask$DelegatedAction.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1254) ~[?:?]
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:691) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1199) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.runAllDelegatedTasks(SslHandler.java:1542) ~[netty-handler-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.runDelegatedTasks(SslHandler.java:1556) ~[netty-handler-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.unwrap(SslHandler.java:1440) ~[netty-handler-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decodeJdkCompatible(SslHandler.java:1267) ~[netty-handler-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decode(SslHandler.java:1314) ~[netty-handler-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.decodeRemovalReentryProtection(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:501) ~[netty-codec-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:440) ~[netty-codec-4.1.49.Final.jar:4.1.49.Final]
        ... 16 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
        at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.validate(PKIXCertPathValidator.java:158) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.engineValidate(PKIXCertPathValidator.java:84) ~[?:?]
        at java.security.cert.CertPathValidator.validate(CertPathValidator.java:309) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doValidate(PKIXValidator.java:364) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:275) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:264) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:285) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:144) ~[?:?]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.ssl.DiagnosticTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(DiagnosticTrustManager.java:99) ~[elasticsearch-ssl-config-7.13.1.jar:7.13.1]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1335) ~[?:?]

And I also tried including the ssl settings in application.yml. The logs at that scenario is

[2021-09-01T00:06:59,995][WARN ][o.e.c.c.ClusterFormationFailureHelper] [node-3] master not discovered or elected yet, an election requires a node with id [mTFCkwSHTk6p9LAZwrwVMA], have discovered [{node-3}{mTFCkwSHTk6p9LAZwrwVMA}{9AdJLuo0R4G62jhSDsj7uA}{{node-3-IP}}{{node-3-IP}:9300}{mv}] which is not a quorum; discovery will continue using [{node-1-IP}:9300, {node-2-IP}:9300] from hosts providers and [{node-3}{mTFCkwSHTk6p9LAZwrwVMA}{9AdJLuo0R4G62jhSDsj7uA}{{node-3-IP}}{{node-3-IP}:9300}{mv}] from last-known cluster state; node term 2, last-accepted version 75 in term 2
[2021-09-01T00:07:09,996][WARN ][o.e.c.c.ClusterFormationFailureHelper] [node-3] master not discovered or elected yet, an election requires a node with id [mTFCkwSHTk6p9LAZwrwVMA], have discovered [{node-3}{mTFCkwSHTk6p9LAZwrwVMA}{9AdJLuo0R4G62jhSDsj7uA}{{node-3-IP}}{{node-3-IP}:9300}{mv}] which is not a quorum; discovery will continue using [{node-1-IP}:9300, {node-2-IP}:9300] from hosts providers and [{node-3}{mTFCkwSHTk6p9LAZwrwVMA}{9AdJLuo0R4G62jhSDsj7uA}{{node-3-IP}}{{node-3-IP}:9300}{mv}] from last-known cluster state; node term 2, last-accepted version 75 in term 2

Like I told before

I think now I have to setup a new ssl or change the password for the current certificate. Can you guide me to do this. Or is the way I'm tinking is correct?

You need to change SSL so it matches and works with the cluster you are connecting to. If you cleated the data path you do not need to set up users on the node joining.

path.data: /var/lib/elasticsearch

this is the data path you mentioned right?

what does this mean? I didn't follow you.

Should i just remove the data path property or i do want to change the SSL to make it work? If you can share some links on how to change the SSL, it would we really helpful

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.