Adding scripted fields to document source

I am trying to move away from scripted fields in our Elasticsearch cluster. I have updated our Logstash config files to add the relevant fields to new incoming documents, but am having trouble figuring out how to update existing documents. I set up an ingest pipeline that runs a Painless script to add the fields if they don't exist in a document. I am running an update_by_query in Kibana dev tools like this:

POST log-logname*/_update_by_query?pipeline=Add-hr-day-fields&conflicts=proceed
{
  "query":{
    "range":{
      "@timestamp": {
        "gte": "2022-02-26",
        "lte": "2022-02-28"

}
    }
  }
}

This does add the fields to the documents, but it seems to keep running after all the relevant documents have been updated. I am checking that with this command:
GET _tasks?detailed=true&actions=*byquery

I think it has something to do with version conflicts, since I see version conflict errors if I don't add conflicts=proceed to the command.

So, is running an update by query the preferred way to do this, or should I do it another way? What causes the version conflicts and how can I avoid them?

Thanks much.

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

It looks like the best option for you, yes.

We'd probably to see some of the errors you get there to comment accurately.

Thanks for the reply! Here is a representative error:

"failures" : [
    {
      "index" : "log-logname",
      "type" : "_doc",
      "id" : "rtgor16o001m01_Se0/0/0:1.64.1644254100",
      "cause" : {
        "type" : "version_conflict_engine_exception",
        "reason" : "[rtgor16o001m01_Se0/0/0:1.64.1644254100]: version conflict, required seqNo [5356283], primary term [3]. current document has seqNo [9338852] and primary term [5]",
        "index_uuid" : "XNeenpEfSrWEBSqhbnBohg",
        "shard" : "0",
        "index" : "log-logname"
      },
      "status" : 409
    },

I get many of these if I don't run the update by query with the conflicts=proceed option.

Also, sometimes I see an error about trying to create too many scroll contexts, should I just add the option to create more?

"type" : "exception",
        "reason" : "Trying to create too many scroll contexts. Must be less than or equal to: [500]. This limit can be set by changing the [search.max_open_scroll_context] setting."
      },

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.