Advice on self hosted elasticsearch architecture

Hello,
We are looking to build a self hosted elasticsearch cluster either on AWS.
I have been looking at infrastructure designs for HA ES setup and was wondering at what stage is it worth in migrating to self hosted solution instead of managed solution?

currently we are in a scoping phase.

I have seen some setups where they have

ALB -> Node ( nginx, kibana, elasticsearch, filebeat)
-> Node ( nginx, kibana, elasticsearch, filebeat)

Is nginx only used for the kibana reverse proxy on each node?

Shouldn't the kibana nodes be separated?

Any advice is much appreciated

I'd go for sure the easy way with Cloud by Elastic, also available if needed from AWS Marketplace, Azure Marketplace and Google Cloud Marketplace.

Cloud by elastic is one way to have access to all features, all managed by us. Think about what is there yet like Security, Monitoring, Reporting, SQL, Canvas, Maps UI, Alerting and built-in solutions named Observability, Security, Enterprise Search and what is coming next :slight_smile: ...

Everything is already setup for you, including the proxies you might need. Adding the features like autoscalling, rolling upgrades... You can just try all that for free from cloud.elastic.co for 14 days.

If you want to manage this yourself, you can also think of using ECK (Elastic Cloud for Kubernetes).

Otherwise, you can deploy your cluster "manually". Remember to have a minimum of 3 master eligible nodes. Don't mix other services (like Kibana...) with Elasticsearch...

I'd start here: Installing the Elastic Stack | Installation and Upgrade Guide [7.11] | Elastic :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.