After sometime transaction are not generating only spans are coming

Hi,

i have create my local application with different endpoints (urls), and each endpoint have different different spans like database calls & external http calls.

here the problem :
after sometime transaction are not generation only spans are coming.

what could be the issue?

looking forward hear from you people.

Kibana version:

Elasticsearch version:

APM Server version:

APM Agent language and version:JAVA & 1.6.2-SNAPSHOT

Browser version:

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version:

Fresh install or upgraded from other version?

Is there anything special in your setup? For example, are you using the Logstash or Kafka outputs? Are you using a load balancer in front of the APM Servers? Have you changed index pattern, generated custom templates, changed agent configuration etc.

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):

Steps to reproduce:

Errors in browser console (if relevant):

Provide logs and/or server output (if relevant):

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Not sure I understand what you are doing- are you using a standalone Java where you applied tracing through our public API, or are you using some supported servlet container?
If you are using our APIs, make sure you are managing the transactions and spans lifecycles properly, meaning they are always ended and deactivated (where activated). For example, one scenario that can fit what you are describing is very long running transactions (eg the run method of a thread).

Also, the current version is now 1.9.0, I suggest you upgrade to it.

Good luck,
Eyal.

Hi Eyal,

Thanks for reply.

it's standlone spring-boot java application i just add about 10 endpoints & for each end point has diferrent different spans it will generate like file read, file write,external http call,database inserts.
so here for 10 min i can see the transaction are gererating and spans as well,but after sometime only spans are generating.

but here i no need to handle the span lifecycle right?, because java agent already doing. like span generating & span deactivating.

Thanks & Regards,
Venkat

We will need more info...
What servlet container are you using?
Are you using our APIs, or only automatic tracing? If you do- try to remove all usages (meaning- run only with automatic tracing) and see what happens.
Look for errors in log.
Set log_level to DEBUG and see if you get more info.

Hi Eyal,

i'm using this application : https://github.com/Dynatrace/easyTravel-Docker
i has see the same issue above application.
run it for some time like above 1 hr, issue will reproduce.

is there any mechanism like if same endpoint (url) hit many times apm-java-agent not generating transactions after sometime.?

Thanks & Regards,
Venkat

Hi,

jetty server.
i'm uing both API's and automatic tracing.
i have writter one more agent which creating one span using public api.
using both these combinations work?

Using API in addition to auto tracing is certainly valid if done properly.
Remove all API usages and see if only with auto tracing everything works fine. If so, most likely your usage of APIs is the reason- eg starting a transaction/span and failing to end it (always or in specific cases), activating a transaction/span but failing to deactivate it (always or in specific cases), deactivating a transaction/span not on a thread where it was not activated etc.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.