An index called logstash

I have noticed the since the upgrade from 6.x to 7.x that indexes had errors with their lifecycle policies.

illegal_argument_exception: index.lifecycle.rollover_alias [logstash] does not point to index [logstash-2020.02.10]

How ever my attempt to fix this has now meant I am not seeing any new logs at all

In logstash logs I see

[2020-02-19T14:13:30,228][ERROR][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch][main] Encountered a retryable error. Will Retry with exponential backoff  {:code=>400, :url=>"http://s08.at.sdlocal.net:9200/_bulk"}
[2020-02-19T14:13:30,371][ERROR][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch][main] Encountered a retryable error. Will Retry with exponential backoff  {:code=>400, :url=>"http://s08.at.sdlocal.net:9200/_bulk"}
[2020-02-19T14:14:31,601][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch][main] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"logstash", :routing=>nil, :_type=>"_doc"}, #<LogStash::Event:0x4b44b509>], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"logstash", "_type"=>"_doc", "_id"=>"K8xwW3ABasizqXEkmi7-", "stat
us"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"illegal_argument_exception", "reason"=>"mapper [response] of different type, current_type [long], merged_type [text]"}}}}

I also notice there is an actual index called logstash (which seems to have content).

I am unsure what to next from here. Can I have any thoughts?

Do I delete this index called logstash or is that the alias?

Out of desperation I stopped logstash, deleted the index added a new write index alias to the newest of the logstash indexes and restarted logstash.

While this has restored the flow of logs, I am left with my orignal problem. How do I did the illegal_argument_exception: index.lifecycle.rollover_alias [logstash] does not point to index [logstash-2020.02.10] errors? I assume now that there is something / wrong with my logstash configuration.

I'm closing this as this topic as the problem that caused be open this is fixed. I'll search other topics for my index error issues

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.