Analyze Request - Local parameter

The Analyze endpoint does not seem to have a "local" parameter to specify the preference.
Is it just missing or is that on purpose and I am missing something?

I noticed it was possible in the 0.* and 1.* versions of ES and was then removed after that.

The analyze endpoint does not access any data on a shard, so there is no need for such parameter. It only needs to access the mapping configuration if you specify an index in a request in order to be able to read the analyzer that may be configured in a request.

Maybe you can explain why you think it is needed to make sure we get rid of any confusion.

I was setting parameters for requests and I was expecting to have a parameter local as preference.
I noticed it was removed in 2.0 so I looked at the code and if I understand correctly

An AnalyzeRequest is sent to a node.
If an index was specified, then it is sent to a random node (that must have a shard of the index)
  See TransportAnalyzeAction:shards
  See TransportSingleShardAction.AsyncSingleAction:perform
Else it is sent to the local node 

Why not have the possibility to send it to the local node as a preference
I ask this because when I typed it, I ended up on a "preferLocal" option that was present in ES 1.7

For the equivalent code (TransportSingleCustomOperationAction.AsyncSingleAction:performFirst)

If no index specified, it executes on the local node as newer versions
  Else
    if preferLocalShard, then it executes it on the local node (with a shard of the index)
    Else or if local node is a not appropriate, it is similar to newer versions

The comment of the method even specifies: "First get should try and use a shard that exists on a local node for better performance"
So I was wondering why it was removed in ES 2.0

it looks as it has been removed by a refactoring 7 years ago, see https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/commit/cfe7504d1cee2cffd3ed06c3b61d0c77de63b67f

I don't think you will gain too much by adding this parameter back, as this API is not supposed to be called very often except for debugging issues.