Any risks with temporarily disable rebalancing?

I just added several new nodes to my cluster. It kicked of a ton of rebalancing jobs which I think are slowing performance, since some of them are on large indices.

I found the api call to disable and control rebalancing at https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/2.2/shards-allocation.html

Would there be any risks associated with simply disabling rebalancing until a time of day with less traffic?? NEW indices and shards should still be routed to the new nodes, correct? I would just like to let the rebalancing processes run overnight when nobody will be using the cluster.

Thanks!

I think the best way to drop load from rebalancing is to fiddle with things like indices.recovery.concurrent_streams and indices.recovery.max_bytes_per_sec. Disabling rebalancing entirely is certainly an option but I don't have a ton of experience with that setting.

Those are under shard allocation settings, I thought those only applied to shard recoveries, hence the names. Those will affect rebalancing tasks as well?

The last time I used them they did and I expect they still do.

1 Like