Apache access logs - "No cached mapping for this field"

I have setup a ELK stack Proof of Concept and in Kibana I have setup one index pattern (logstash-*) using one time-field name (@timestamp) I originally setup the logstash-fowarder on two dev servers sending only logs from /var/log/messages & /var/log/secure. All this works great and all the syslog fields are parsed AND indexed properly. However I configured and added sending apache access logs from one of the two dev servers (/var/log/httpd/access_log) using a grok filter as follows:

filter {
  if [type] == "apache-access" {
    grok {
      match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}" }
    }
  }
    date {
      match => [ "timestamp" , "dd/MMM/yyyy:HH:mm:ss Z" ]
    }
 }

Here is an example log Apache access_log entry from the server:

192.168.64.232 - - [14/Jul/2015:13:21:30 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 302 26 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/43.0.2357.132 Safari/537.36"

However my problem is that I cannot use any of these fields (clientip, response, verb, etc.) parsed out of my apache access logs to create visualizations as in kibana when I expand an Apache log it says for each field that gets parsed out "No cached mapping for this field, refresh your mapping from the Settings > Indices page" however refreshing the mappings does nothing.

I am on the latest current version of logstash (1.5.2), elasticsearch (1.6), and Kibana (4.1.1)

Here is my logstash-forwarder config on the machine sending Apache logs:

{
  "network": {
    "servers": [ "logstash.our.domain.com:5000" ],
    "ssl ca": "/etc/pki/tls/certs/logstash-forwarder.crt",

"timeout": 15
  },

"files": [
    {
      "paths": [
        "/var/log/messages",
        "/var/log/secure"
      ],
      "fields": { "type": "syslog" }
    }
  ],

"files": [
    {
      "paths": [
        "/var/log/httpd/access_log"
      ],
      "fields": { "type": "apache-access" }
    }
  ]
}

Can anyone help me to figure out what is going wrong here, is this a Kibana bug or a problem with my Elastic search configuration or filter or ??

Thank you much in advance!

-Drew

1 Like

That message means that Kibana didn't find that mapping when you created the index pattern. Hitting refresh from the indexes settings page for that index (logstash-*) should update it.

Can you post your mappings from Elasticsearch and a screenshot of the field list in Kibana?

1 Like

Hi Joe,

I mentioned in my post that refreshing the mappings does nothing for me but I should have clairfied that this was in the location you mentioned in Kibana (Settings > Indices) it is not updating anything when I do that so something is not right.

It may be my mappings from Elasticsearch, I'm still fairly new to Elasticsearch configuration so I'm not 100% sure where to locate the mappings from Elasticsearch you are wanting me to post so I just wanted to ask you first to verify that I post what you are looking for? What config file contents are you wanting to see here?

I will add a new screenshot of the field list in Kibana from the Discover page below, the screen shot I inserted in my original post shows the fields list just for one Apache log entry while expanded.

Yeah, I got that refreshing the mappings wasn't working, I was just explaining what it did, and that it should be working :wink:

So it looks like Kibana is indeed seeing your fields based on what you posted from Discover. The field list screenshot I was looking for is from the index settings page though - can you post that?

As for the mappings, you can get the field mappings via http://localhost:9200/logstash-2015.07.15/_mapping, assuming you have elasticsearch running on localhost. The output is probably going to be pretty big, feel free to put it in a gist or on pastebin or something.

Great, thanks for the quick reply! Here is the link to where I put the contents of the _mapping file:

http://pastebin.com/EzS6i4hT

Index settings screenshots:

Thank you much!

Hi Joe/All,

Just bumping this to the top, it seems to have fallen through the cracks, thank you much for your help with this!

-Drew

我也遇到这个问题了,直接在 kibana的settings里【refresh fields list】即可