APM tracing is not working for distributed application

If you are asking about a problem you are experiencing, please use the following template, as it will help us help you. If you have a different problem, please delete all of this text :slight_smile:

Kibana version: 6.5.4

Elasticsearch version: 6.5.4

APM Server version: 6.5.4

APM Agent language and version: 1.3.0

Browser version: Chrome (Version 72.0.3626.109)

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version: From elastic offical webpage

Fresh install or upgraded from other version?

Is there anything special in your setup? For example, are you using the Logstash or Kafka outputs? Are you using a load balancer in front of the APM Servers? Have you changed index pattern, generated custom templates, changed agent configuration etc.

We are using logback for Json format logs --> then logstash --> elastic Search --> Kibana and APM.
No Loadbalancer and we have not done any custom changes in the configuration.

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):

Description: We have two java SpringBoot MVC projects (says P1 and P2) deployed on Tomcat 8. On boot of up project P1, we send request via HTTP Rest to P2. Both have different log file.(p1.log and p2.log in tomcat/logs)
Then in P2 project flow is:
P2 rest controoler -> Service -> DB layer which insert data in database Oracle -> Send message on HornetQ Topic -> Which is listened by @JmsListener in P2 projects (as P2 can have multiple instances)
Tracing is coming in logs for P2 project flow mentioned above BUT we have three problems:
1. P1 project traces not reflect on APM Kibana UI
2. P1 send request on Boot Up thats why there is no linking of P1 trace ID to P2 trace ID.
I mean I am not able to trace whole cycle i.e. P1 Boot Up @Component Bean -> P2 @RestController ->P2 @2017_service -> P2 send message on Topic ->P2 @JmsListener
3. @JmsListener - I am not getting traceID from Flow P1 Boot Up @Component Bean -> P2 @RestController ->P2 @2017_service -> P2 send message on Topic ->P2 @JmsListener

Steps to reproduce:

Errors in browser console (if relevant):

Provide logs and/or server output (if relevant):

Hi and thanks for trying out the Elastic APM Java agent :slight_smile:

We don't have support for JMS yet but here's an issue for that: https://github.com/elastic/apm-agent-java/issues/466 Feel free to subscribe and :+1: that issue.

Cheers,
Felix

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@JyotsnaS Following up on this one, wanted to let you know that JMS support was released in 1.7.0. As it is considered an "incubating" feature still, it is off by default. Take a look at the details and how to enable.