Ask a question about multiple hosts alarms

I need to monitor memory usage rate for multiple hosts, get data every five minutes, if the set threshold is exceeded, the alarm is triggered and a separate warning message is sent according to the host name. Hopefully a universal alarm setting. My current configuration:

{
  "trigger": {
    "schedule": {
      "interval": "5m"
    }
  },
  "input": {
    "search": {
      "request": {
        "search_type": "query_then_fetch",
        "indices": [
          "metricbeat-*"
        ],
        "rest_total_hits_as_int": true,
        "body": {
          "query": {
            "bool": {
              "filter": {
                "range": {
                  "@timestamp": {
                    "gte": "{{ctx.trigger.scheduled_time}}||-5m",
                    "lte": "{{ctx.trigger.scheduled_time}}",
                    "format": "strict_date_optional_time||epoch_millis"
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          },
          "aggs": {
            "host": {
            	"terms": {
            		"field": "host.name"
            	},
            	"aggs": {
            		"metric": {
            			"avg": {
            				"field": "system.memory.used.pct"
            			}
            		}
              }
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  },
  "condition": {
    "script": {
      "source": "if (ctx.payload.aggregations.metricAgg.value > params.threshold) { return true; } return false;",
      "lang": "painless",
      "params": {
        "threshold": 0.8
      }
    }
  },
  "actions": {
    "slack_1": {
      "transform": {

"script": {
          "source": "def df = new DecimalFormat('##.##'); return ['memory_used': df.format(ctx.payload.aggregations.metricAgg.value * params.percent), 'hostname': ctx.payload.hits.hits.0._source.host.name]",
          "lang": "painless",
          "params": {
            "percent": 100
          }
        }
      },
      "slack": {
        "message": {
          "to": [
            "#elk"
          ],
          "text": "Host {{ctx.payload.hostname}} memory alarm, alarm value is {{ctx.payload.memory_used}}% ."
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

output:

"aggregations": {
      "host": {
        "doc_count_error_upper_bound": 0,
        "sum_other_doc_count": 0,
        "buckets": [
          {
            "doc_count": 146,
              "value": 0.9885454545454546
            },
            "key": "es7_02"
          },
          {
            "doc_count": 139,
              "value": 0.985
            },
            "key": "es7_01"
          }
        ]
      }
    }

I can get hostname of two hosts and the average system.memory.used.pct of five minutes , but only one host can be received warning message at a time, May I ask what I need to do to read key and value in the bucket in batch for alarm, or is there any other better method.

Do you want 1 watch to query for multiple hosts, find all those above threshold and execute 1 action with 1 message mentioning all the hosts that are above threshold?

Or you want 1 watch to query for the same as above but then execute the action PER host found to be above threshold, sending 1 msg per hosts?

The first one above is possible of course, the second one is not supported.
You would either create 1 watch per host to achieve 1 msg per host or if that sound insane in terms of required supporting automation and coordination in your environment, the other option is to the ship the list of offending hosts, or a list of messages concerning them to something that will do the demultiplexing for you. Like a webhook into an a simple program that will ship an individual message PER host that the watch sent over, or a webhook into a simple program that will take a list or finished messages ready to be sent and will send individually.

Short: watcher doesn’t have “execute action per item found in datastructure”.
It only has execute a predefined list of actions if the associated condition is true, but that doesn’t cover dynamically sending as much message as there are offending hosts in a multi host alarm.

Thank you for your reply, I really want to implement the second one,Since it can't be implemented now, how can I implement the first one?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.