Automatic Index Lifecycle management

Hi,

I see the 7.0.0 version of beats and logstash include automatic setup of Index Lifecycle Management for their indices, but APM Server doesn't. I would like to ask whether there are plans for APM Server to also set up ILM automatically instead of having to manually set it up as documented here: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/apm/server/master/manual-ilm-setup.html

This is important because since we are using ILM for beats, we would like to get rid of Elasticsearch Curator which serves the purpose of setting retention periods. But since APM Server doesn't support this yet, we can't.

Hi Mahdi,

We will have ILM in the APM Server as well. I don't know when it will be released, but I can tell you we are actively working on it now.

For the time being, the link you posted is the way to go. There is an example in there of how to set a retention period yourself, does that work for you?

Juan

Hi Juan,

That's great news to hear! We generally try to avoid manual modifications in our Elasticsearch setup and try to have them automated as much as possible. I think we can live with APM and Curator running together until the automatic setup of ILM is there.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.