Best way to check if a database (postgres and mssql) is up and running using metricbeat?

Hi, what whould the best way to check if a database (postgres and mssql) is up and running using metricbeat?

I need to create alerts if a database is down, in kibana "Alerts an Insights -> rules" there is an option to alert when no data, so this could be an option.

Also I was thinking on using the system module an check if the database processes is reporting data.

Can you think on another way? or what you think would be the best option?

Thanks.

As long as your metricbeat is set up to bring the data into the Metrics Explorer under Observability, then yes, that rule/alert should do well.
Your system module idea would do well also.

Having managed many SQL servers before, I always opted for more than one check process and metric to help eliminate any hiccups and provide redundancy.

You could also technically run SQL queries in Metricbeat as a module to perform specific checks of data or processes - this way your checks can be more granular than up/down.

Here is an MSSQL example.
Here is a Postgres example.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.