Best way to index user specific products on store index

I have an index with ~20000 products for an e-commerce website. I would like to implement a "previously purchased feature" for specific users.. so only specific products will return for specific users in this case... but also with a sort on their most frequently purchased item.

If there was no sorting, I think the best way to do this would be just to a store a keyword array of user_ids on each product.

So my products would look something like:

{
       "name": "Product A",
       "bought_by_user_ids": [1,2,3,4,5,8,10]
}

And then my query would be something like

{
"query": {
    "bool": {
      "must": [
        { "match":  { "name" : "Product" } }
      ],
      "filter: [
        { "match": { "bought_by_user_ids": 1 } }
      ]
      }
  }
}
Where 1 is the current user's integer ID.

The kicker is I also want to sort on most commonly purchased by each user. So my thinking was instead of just keeping user_ids on the product, I can store an object field with user_ids as keys and the number of times they purchased the product as the values.

So the product would look like:

{
    "name": "Product A",
     "bought_by_user_ids": {
         "1": 5,
         "2": 10
      }
}

Meaning user with ID 1 has bought the product 5 times, and user with ID 2 has bought the product 10 times.

And the query would be an exists query.

{
     "query": {
           "exists": {
	            "field": "bought_by_user_ids.1"
	    }
	  },
	  "sort" : [{
             "bought_by_user_ids.1" : {
                  "order" : "desc",
                  "unmapped_type" : "float"
             }
       }]
}
Where 1 is the current user's integer ID.

The solution works but I'm wondering if there's a better way to do this? I noticed I may eventually run into a total_fields limit because apparently every entry in the object is its own field? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.