Filtering a products index by different users

Hello,

I'm kind of new to Elasticsearch and am looking to solve the following problem:

I have an index of products. They have regular fields such as id, name, brand etc. Querying this index is working great, however I want to limit the products which are returned for specific users.

Say I have 5 products who’s IDs go from 1-5

Id: 1, name: “Product One”, brand: “Fake Brand”
Id: 2, name: “Product Two”, brand: “Fake Brand”
Id: 3, name: “Product Three”, brand: “Fake Brand”
Id: 4, name: “Product Four”, brand: “Fake Brand”
Id: 5, name: “Product Five”, brand: “Fake Brand”

If there’s no filter, and I search for brand: “Fake Brand”, I get 5 results.

But I want to add this functionality: Say I have two users. User 1 is only able to “see” product IDs 1, 2, and 5. And User 2 is only able to “see” a different subset, say, product IDs 1, 2, 4 and 5.

So if user 1 searches for brand: “Fake Brand”, he only gets back product with IDs 1, 2, and 5. Where as if user 2 searches for brand: “Fake Brand”, he only gets back products with IDs 1, 2, 4 and 5.

Is there a way to add a “user id” to this products query and then store somewhere else what products a user is able to see?

In SQL I would probably have a different table storing what products each user can see and then just do a join. But using ES I think I either have to have two separate indexes or to use nested or has_child/has_parent queries but I’m not entirely sure how to implement it.

Any help or examples are appreciated.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.