Bool Queries - Filtering double negatives

Hey everyone,

I need help with query syntax!

I'm trying to build a compound bool query that filters out documents that do not match a certain criteria, essentially a double negative.

I want to return relevant events for our users, and an attribute of these events is to be either public or private ("private" = true). I want to return public events AND return private events that the user is either attending OR invited to. Stated inversely, I want to return events that are NOT private AND do NOT have the user either attending OR invited. There are also a few other attributes to filter out as you'll see in the example below, such as events where we set "isHidden" = true or "isCanceled" = true.

I have tried various structures, but the closest I can come up with is the following:

{
      "query": {
        "bool": {
          "must_not": [
            {
              "term": {
                "isHidden": true
              }
            },
            {
                "isCanceled": true
              }
            },
            {
              "bool": {
                "must": [
                  {
                      "private": true
                    }
                  }
                ],
                "must_not": [
                  {
                      "invited": "userId1"
                    }
                  },
                  {
                      "attenders": "userId1"
                    }
                  }
                ]
              }
            }
          ]
        }
      }
    }

However when I execute this query, it always filters out private events, even ones where the userId1 is included in "invited" field, for example.

How can I properly query this case?

Thank you!

Forget this one folks, it was an error in our index. The double negatives do in fact work properly!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.