Bucket Selector Aggregation on Date Histogram _key

Hi,
I'm trying to use the bucket selector aggregation to filter out some unwanted buckets from my response, buckets that I'm not interested in (but are used in the calculation - moving avg). My main aggregation is a date_histogram and therefore the _key is a date. I have tried the following without success:

"_m_pipeline": {
      "date_histogram": {
        "field": "date",
        "interval": "month"
      },
      "aggs": {
        "_m_sum": {
          "sum": {
            "field": "value"
          }
        },
       ... <other aggregations here> ...
        "_m_data_bucket_filter": {
          "bucket_selector": {
            "buckets_path": {
              "bucket_key": "_key"
            },
            "script": "params.bucket_key < 1491004800000L" // This number is equivalent to 2017-04-01 00:00:00
          }
        }

The result I get is:

{
  "error": {
    "root_cause": [],
    "type": "reduce_search_phase_exception",
    "reason": "[reduce] ",
    "phase": "fetch",
    "grouped": true,
    "failed_shards": [],
    "caused_by": {
      "type": "aggregation_execution_exception",
      "reason": "buckets_path must reference either a number value or a single value numeric metric aggregation, got: org.joda.time.DateTime"
    }
  },
  "status": 503
}

The main idea of my query is to get a monthly moving average of window 12. In order to calculate this, I need at least 12 months of data in my histogram, but I am only interested in the latest value of the moving average, therefore I would like to discard (server side) the excess data for post processing.

Any ideas if this is possible? And how?

Thank you!

Could you have a look for a stack trace in the Elasticsearch server logs and paste it here?

Hi,
Here you go.

[2017-04-03T10:58:32,634][DEBUG][o.e.a.s.TransportSearchAction] [fNx6XyA] failed to reduce search
org.elasticsearch.action.search.ReduceSearchPhaseException: [reduce]
at org.elasticsearch.action.search.SearchQueryThenFetchAsyncAction$2.onFailure(SearchQueryThenFetchAsyncAction.java:151) [elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingAbstractRunnable.onFailure(ThreadContext.java:512) [elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:39) [elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [?:1.8.0_121]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) [?:1.8.0_121]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_121]
Caused by: org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.AggregationExecutionException: buckets_path must reference either a number value or a single value numeric metric aggregation, got: org.joda.time.DateTime
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.pipeline.BucketHelpers.resolveBucketValue(BucketHelpers.java:171) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.pipeline.BucketHelpers.resolveBucketValue(BucketHelpers.java:152) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.pipeline.bucketselector.BucketSelectorPipelineAggregator.reduce(BucketSelectorPipelineAggregator.java:100) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.InternalAggregation.reduce(InternalAggregation.java:136) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.InternalAggregations.reduce(InternalAggregations.java:158) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.bucket.terms.InternalTerms$Bucket.reduce(InternalTerms.java:135) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.bucket.terms.InternalTerms.doReduce(InternalTerms.java:234) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.InternalAggregation.reduce(InternalAggregation.java:134) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.InternalAggregations.reduce(InternalAggregations.java:158) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.action.search.SearchPhaseController.merge(SearchPhaseController.java:489) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.action.search.SearchQueryThenFetchAsyncAction$2.doRun(SearchQueryThenFetchAsyncAction.java:140) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingAbstractRunnable.doRun(ThreadContext.java:527) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
... 3 more
[2017-04-03T10:58:32,635][WARN ][r.suppressed ] path: /test2/full/_search, params: {index=test2, type=full}
org.elasticsearch.action.search.ReduceSearchPhaseException: [reduce]
at org.elasticsearch.action.search.SearchQueryThenFetchAsyncAction$2.onFailure(SearchQueryThenFetchAsyncAction.java:151) [elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingAbstractRunnable.onFailure(ThreadContext.java:512) [elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:39) [elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [?:1.8.0_121]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) [?:1.8.0_121]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_121]
Caused by: org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.AggregationExecutionException: buckets_path must reference either a number value or a single value numeric metric aggregation, got: org.joda.time.DateTime
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.pipeline.BucketHelpers.resolveBucketValue(BucketHelpers.java:171) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.pipeline.BucketHelpers.resolveBucketValue(BucketHelpers.java:152) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.pipeline.bucketselector.BucketSelectorPipelineAggregator.reduce(BucketSelectorPipelineAggregator.java:100) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.InternalAggregation.reduce(InternalAggregation.java:136) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.bucket.terms.InternalTerms$Bucket.reduce(InternalTerms.java:135) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.bucket.terms.InternalTerms.doReduce(InternalTerms.java:234) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.search.aggregations.InternalAggregation.reduce(InternalAggregation.java:134) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.action.search.SearchPhaseController.merge(SearchPhaseController.java:489) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.action.search.SearchQueryThenFetchAsyncAction$2.doRun(SearchQueryThenFetchAsyncAction.java:140) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingAbstractRunnable.doRun(ThreadContext.java:527) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37) ~[elasticsearch-5.1.2.jar:5.1.2]
... 3 more

Regards.

This seems to be a bug unfortunately. I have opened https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/23874 to get the problem fixed but basically we have a requirement at the moment that all bucket paths resolve to a numeric value (as in an instance of java.lang.Number). This is important for most of the pipeline aggregations since, by design, they work only on numeric values. However in the case of bucket_script and bucket_selector we should allow other types so long as the script can support them (essentially this means allowing DateTime and String values as well).

Unfortunately I can't think of a way to work around this at the moment, sorry.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll follow that opened issue closely but will have to deal with this on client side for now I guess.
Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.