Build from source but NoClassDefFoundError:ExtendedPluginsClassLoader

Elasticsearch version (bin/elasticsearch --version):

Version: 6.2.4

Plugins installed: []

None

JVM version (java -version):

java version "10.0.1" 2018-04-17
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10, mixed mode)

OS version (uname -a if on a Unix-like system):

MacBook-Pro.local 17.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 17.5.0

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior:

I want to build ES and debug.ES6.2.4

Steps to reproduce:

1. download https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/archive/v6.2.4.zip and unzip
  2. cd && gradle idea
  3. brew install elasticsearch
  4. https://www.elastic.co/downloads/elasticsearch and download
    https://artifacts.elastic.co/downloads/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-6.2.4.zip

copy elasticsearch-6.2.4’s modules and plugins to /usr/local/var/elasticsearch

in idea,

-Des.path.conf=/usr/local/etc/elasticsearch/
-Des.path.home=/usr/local/var/elasticsearch/
-Dlog4j2.disable.jmx=true

run elasticsearch-6.2.4/server/src/main/java/org/elasticsearch/bootstrap/Elasticsearch.java

Provide logs (if relevant):

[2018-05-22T13:52:44,399][ERROR][o.e.b.ElasticsearchUncaughtExceptionHandler] [] fatal error in thread [main], exiting
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/elasticsearch/plugins/ExtendedPluginsClassLoader
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsService.loadBundle(PluginsService.java:494) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsService.loadBundles(PluginsService.java:422) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsService.<init>(PluginsService.java:146) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.<init>(Node.java:303) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.<init>(Node.java:246) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap$5.<init>(Bootstrap.java:213) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setup(Bootstrap.java:213) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:323) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:121) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.execute(Elasticsearch.java:112) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:92) ~[main/:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:85) ~[main/:?]
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.elasticsearch.plugins.ExtendedPluginsClassLoader
	at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:582) ~[?:?]
	at jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:190) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:499) ~[?:?]
	... 15 more

please help me

please help me

Please be patient.

You're steps to reproduce seem to be different ways of installing elasticsearch, but not actually a list of steps to run.

copy elasticsearch-6.2.4’s modules and plugins to /usr/local/var/elasticsearch

You should not modify the installation of elasticsearch. That can produce all kinds of weird errors.

run elasticsearch-6.2.4/server/src/main/java/org/elasticsearch/bootstrap/Elasticsearch.java

Are you trying to run the Elasticsearch class directly, not with bin/elasticsearch? If so, that is unsupported. Elasticsearch requires a very particular java setup, and the bin script sets up this environment (including classpath) as Elasticsearch expects.

Please give more detailed reproduction instructions.

hi! Thanks for reply.

What I want to do is debug the Elasticsearch, which means I want to follow the step to find out what Elasticsearch does when I index a document or search.
I use IntelliJ IDEA help me to do this.

Are you trying to run the Elasticsearch class directly, not with bin/elasticsearch

I don't know what should I do after runing gradle idea.

How to run the Elasticsearch class directly ?

Thank you very much.

For the stated purpose, it is best to checkout elasticsearch from GitHub. Once you have done this,
./gradlew idea is only initialized the IntelliJ project. You then need to follow the instructions in the CONTRIBUTING guide for importing the project into IntelliJ. You can then add a "Remote" debug configuration in IntelliJ, run elasticsearch from source and run the debug action in IntelliJ.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.