Building Elasticsearch for Clear Linux, NullPointerException

Hi,

I work in the Clear Linux (https://clearlinux.org/) development team and we are trying to include elasticsearch in one of our Big Data bundles for the OS. The build process appears go to well, but when I run elasticsearch for testing I get this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at org.elasticsearch.common.logging.DeprecationLogger.<clinit>(DeprecationLogger.java:138)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.xcontent.support.AbstractXContentParser.<init>(AbstractXContentParser.java:57)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.xcontent.json.JsonXContentParser.<init>(JsonXContentParser.java:44)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.xcontent.json.JsonXContent.createParser(JsonXContent.java:103)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Setting.parseableStringToList(Setting.java:848)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Setting.lambda$listSetting$27(Setting.java:802)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Setting.listSetting(Setting.java:807)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Setting.listSetting(Setting.java:802)
        at org.elasticsearch.env.Environment.<clinit>(Environment.java:59)
        at org.elasticsearch.node.InternalSettingsPreparer.prepareEnvironment(InternalSettingsPreparer.java:90)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.createEnv(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:72)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:67)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:122)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:88)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:91)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:84)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.elasticsearch.Build.<clinit>(Build.java:51)
        ... 16 more

I realize there have been similar questions, with similar errors, however I believe my environment is different and previous answers may not apply in this case.

Can you give me a hand?

Last time I've seen such an error, it appears that manifest files were missing in the final artifact. Can you check that?

This is a server stacktrace, not a client stacktrace like you're using to seeing in this situation. That means this is a repackaged, externally packaged distribution, or embedded(?), not one of our officially blessed ones. We do not support this.

You mean inside elasticsearch-5.4.0.jar?

There is a META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file there. Should there be more manifest files?

Well, I am building elasticsearch from source to create a Clear Linux package. What is it that you don't support?

Why are you building elasticsearch from source instead of using the official distributions?

What is it that you don't support?

As @jasontedor said, repackaged, externally packaged distribution, or embedded. If you are building from source, that is an externally packaged distribution. We can't support something we have not built and tested ourselves.

1 Like

Clear Linux is optimized for Intel servers. The reason we build things ourselves is because we plan to optimize not only the OS but also the most requested applications, which may include elasticsearch.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.