Can I get the datepicker parameters to use in a KQL query in Kibana

My data has multiple date fields so I would like to get the start and end dates from the datepicker to use in a KQL query to further filter my data in a Kibana visualisation.

So let's say I have a document like this:

{
  admissionDate: "date",
  dischargeDate: "date",
}

My index pattern uses admissionDate as the time field, so the datepicker will filter all patients admitted between the start and end date. But I want to filter patients who have also been discharged before the end date.

I can do this in Vega using the timefilter like this

%timefilter%: max

Is there a way to do this in KQL, something like this?

dischargeDate < "%timefilter%: max"
1 Like

No, this is not currently supported. You can use regular datemath in KQL, so for example you can do date > now-7d/d to find all documents within the last 7 days rounded to midnight.

Here is the issue: [data.search.aggs] Date range aggregation should support time ranges relative to timepicker · Issue #76433 · elastic/kibana · GitHub

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep an eye on the github issue.

I went another way of getting around part of the problem in case anyone is interested.

I created aliases for my index, eg:

"aliases": {
  "my-index-by-admission": {},
  "my-index-by-discharge": {}
}

Then I created an index pattern for each alias, and each one has a different time field. So I can use the same index and filter by a different time field by selecting a different index pattern.

It doesn't get around the problem of using the same datepicker for 2 dates, but it solves some other problems.

If anyone has any better ideas, feel free to drop them here.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.