Cannot read property 'aliases' of undefined

Hello,

After i updated my Elasticsearch to version 7.16, Kibana can’t load Index Management page, with error
Cannot read property ‘aliases’ of undefined.

Everything else is working fine, my applications are streaming logs to my indexes perfectly.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

Kibana version: 7.9.2

Elasticsearch version: 7.16.2

Server OS version: Windows Server 2012 R2

Browser version: Chrome last version

Browser OS version: Chrome last version

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, from source, etc.): Updated with MSI package

Describe the bug:
After I updated Elasticsearch from 7.9 to 7.16 to fix log4j, Kibana can’t load Index Management page, with error
Cannot read property ‘aliases’ of undefined.

Everything else is working fine, my applications are streaming logs to my indexes perfectly.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Update Elasticsearch
  2. Open Index Management page

Expected behavior:
Load indexes

Provide logs and/or server output (if relevant):

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.110 Safari/537.36","referer":"http://kibana5601/app/management/data/index_management/indices"},"res":{"statusCode":500,"responseTime":280,"contentLength":9},"message":"GET /api/index_management/indices 500 280ms - 9.0B"}

Have you observed any errors during an upgrade? Is the index management the only page in Kibana that won't load?

We are also getting the same error when trying to load Index Management page. And there were no errors during upgrades. We upgraded ES 7.9.3 to 7.16.1.

We are getting error in all 4 instances of ES. Internal server error is received while Kibana is trying to reload the indices using API 'api/index_management/indices/reload'

Any help is appreciated.

@sumitgupta did we find a solution this?

@RapTvin Not yet. Still waiting reply from Elastic team.

@majagrubic Were you able to reproduce this issue? Any solution yet?

This looks like a legitimate bug. Could you file a bug report here, so that the appropriate team can have a look at it? Thanks

Hello everyone, i fixed it downgrading Kibana version from 7.9.3 to 7.8.1.
You can also upgrade your Kibana to last version, but legacy plugins will not work

Is there any other solution other than downgrading?

I saw the same problem in one of the clusters I manage (and not the other).
Upgraded cluster on VM's to 7.16.2 (elastic and kibana) and it works
Upgraded elastic on k8s to 7.16.3 using helm but inadvertently forgot to upgrade kibana to 7.16.3 - was 7.12.x and saw the issue. Once I upgraded kibana as well the issue went away.

Solution for me was to line up kibana version with elastic version, in my case upgrade

1 Like

The key is to match the version of ES and Kibana. During ES upgrade to 7.16.1, I forgot to upgrade Kibana to the same version and hence the error. After upgrading Kibana to 7.16.1, there is no error. I think we should receive a warning or error while starting up Kibana when versions do not match.

My solution is same as @John_Murray

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.