Can't set doc_values=true for Boolean field

I'm having some trouble getting doc_values=true to work for a Boolean field. I can use mappings that set it, but when I read the mappings back out, doc_values are not appearing on my field. I'm going to paste a bunch of my Marvel/Sense commands and output

Here's my software version:

GET /

"status": 200,
   "name": "Water Wizard",
   "cluster_name": "elasticsearch_mpowers",
   "version": {
      "number": "1.6.0",
      "build_hash": "cdd3ac4dde4f69524ec0a14de3828cb95bbb86d0",
      "build_timestamp": "2015-06-09T13:36:34Z",
      "build_snapshot": false,
      "lucene_version": "4.10.4"
   },
   "tagline": "You Know, for Search"
}

So here's the mappings I send to Elasticsearch, stripped down to the essential field:

PUT /test-app/company_user/_mapping

{
      "dynamic": "false",
      "properties": {
        "asdf1234": {
          "type": "boolean",
          "doc_values": true
        }
      }
    }

Here's the mappings that come back out:

GET /test-app/company_user/_mapping
{
   "test-app": {
      "mappings": {
         "company_user": {
            "dynamic": "false",
            "properties": {
               "asdf1234": {
                  "type": "boolean"
               }
            }
         }
      }
   }
}

doc_values seems to work ok for integers, floats, and not_analyzed strings, it's just giving me trouble with Boolean fields for some reason. It's really puzzling! Any ideas?

We store this as a binary T/F behind the scenes so there's no way to even analyse it, so I can see why you are getting that.

I'll ask and see what the underlying reason is.

This will be possible in the upcoming ES 2.0 release.

Nice!

Thanks for the answer. Would like to point out that the reason for my confusion was that the documentation for doc_values claims that booleans are handled just like other numeric types: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/doc-values.html

"Doc values can be enabled for numeric, date, Boolean, binary, and geo-point fields, and for not_analyzed string fields."

Also, the server does not raise an error when you ask for a doc_values boolean field, it just silently discards that attribute.

Thanks again!
Marshall