Changing the _type of all entries

Hey guys,

Would really appreciate if someone could tell me how I can change all of my _type entries in a index to be the same.

Right now some are 'log' and some are 'doc' when really they should all be doc.
I hear that reindexing would work however I want to keep the index name, furthermore doesn't reindexing cause issues with mapping? Since I want the mapping to remain the same.

The only reason this is needed, is because Elastic's python API seems to limit search queries based on the _type which is causing major headache. I'd like to keep all _type's the same otherwise not all the entries get returned. More info here: https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch-dsl-py/issues/761#issuecomment-340278067

Thank you.

You need to reindex. If you do that into the same index it will not change the mapping, because it will use the existing template.

You will have to run a delete by query after you are done, to remove the documents with the old type.

To do so I am trying to reindex like so. I have setup the mapping for the new index.
However I keep getting the error
{ "error" : { "root_cause" : [ { "type" : "null_pointer_exception", "reason" : "Can't reindex without a destination type!" } ], "type" : "null_pointer_exception", "reason" : "Can't reindex without a destination type!" }, "status" : 500 }

This is my query:

curl -XPOST -d '{
  "source": {
    "index": "logs",
    "type": ["log", "doc"]
  },
  "dest": {
    "index": "new_logs",
    "type": "doc"
  },
  "script": {
    "source": "ctx._type = 'doc';"
  }
}' 'localhost:9200/_reindex?pretty'

This should take log and doc types and add them to the new index all under the doc type. However I can't see to solve the error I keep getting about how the destination needs a type. I thought I specified that properly?

Why not just reindex the current log types to be doc and in the existing index? They won't conflict and you reduce your reindex load by half (of the types).

I'm confused I thought you just said that wasn't possible to reindex in an existing index? How could I change all the log types to doc then?

And thanks for taking the time to help me out Mark, I appreciate it

Nope?

Something like what you have, eg;

curl -XPOST -d '{
    "type": "log"
  },
  },
  "script": {
    "source": "ctx._type = 'doc';"
  }

Haha this is why I was getting confused about your replies, because _reindex does not allow source and dest to be the same.

{
  "error" : {
    "root_cause" : [
      {
        "type" : "action_request_validation_exception",
        "reason" : "Validation Failed: 1: reindex cannot write into an index its reading from [logs];"
      }
    ],
    "type" : "action_request_validation_exception",
    "reason" : "Validation Failed: 1: reindex cannot write into an index its reading from [logs];"
  },
  "status" : 400
}

Oh, my mistake then :frowning:

1 Like

Solved thanks :slight_smile:

How'd you end up solving it? It might be useful for others in future :slight_smile:

Removing the script completely, specifying the type to import to fixed the issue in the new index! It combined the log and doc types from the logs index into new_logs.

curl -XPOST -d '{
  },
    "index": "new_logs",
  }
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.