Clicking 1 field but filtering based on other field for drildowns

Sorry for the possible confusing title, but here is what I am trying to do:
in my dashboard for DNS I have name of the domain and number of hits (ex: elastic.co - 100hits).
When I click the (+) on Kibana next to "elastic.co" it adds the filter "domain:elastic.co", however I want the filter to be based on the "answer.IP" filed values in the same document.

Why/what I am trying:
problem: when you apply a filter on a dashboard, if the other visualisations don't have that field, they all return empty.

• lets say we have 2 different types of documents in our Elasticsearch Connections and DNS.
  • both these documents have a field called "IP".
  • the DNS doc also has a field called domain name, which is more human readable then IP, example: domain elastic.co, IP 123.123.123.123

In my Kibana I want to show the user, Domain name from the DNS docs, but when users filter based on a value on the screen, I want the filter to be the value of the IP and not the domain name.

• otherwise, since the CONNECTION docs/visuals don't have the "domain Name" field those show empty, thus I can't drill down.

real life example:
Zeek Connection logs - have destination IP
zeek DNS logs - have DNS answers.
I want to show DNS QUESTION in kibana, but filter on the value of "DNS answers" as "destination IP".

hope it makes sense :slight_smile:
ps, I was not able to find this on my searches if I missed it please feel free to refer me to a link
thanks in advance.

As far as I know, there's no such settings in kibana. My suggestion is to use an enrich
processor pipeline or something to add domain fields to any index you need to filter.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.